Box Office Collection: Ajith's 'Veeram', Vijay's 'Jilla' Successfully Enter 3rd Week
By sangeetha seshagiri | January 25, 2014 7:53 PM EST
Ajith's "Veeram" and Vijay's "Jilla" have successfully entered the third week at the worldwide box office.
Ajith and Santhanam in "Veeram" (Facebook/Veeram Movie Fans Page)
Both the films have reaped gold at the box office, earning good collections. Despite several new releases, "Jilla" and "Veeram" will be shown in several screens not just in India but also in the overseas markets. The Ajith and Vijay starrers will continue to run in 6 and 5 screens, respectively, in the US, according to the films' distributors (US) ATMUS Entertainment.
"Veeram" and "Jilla" are holding well in Tamil Nadu, although there has been a spate of new releases including "Goli Soda", "Malini 22 Palayamkottai" and "Jai Ho."
"Jilla" is leading the worldwide box office with the Vijay starrer earning over ₹73 crore in 10 days, whereas "Veeram" grossed around ₹69 crore at the worldwide box office.
However, "Veeram" has outperformed "Jilla" in Tamil Nadu. In the state's capital city Chennai, "Veeram" ruled the roost last weekend (17-19 January) and Monday (20 January) followed by "Jilla", according to entertainment industry tracker Sreedhar Pillai.
Chennai Box Office (Jan 17 to 20)
3. Endrendrum Punnagai
4. Yevadu (Telugu)
5. 1 Nenokkadine (Telugu)
"Veeram" and "Jilla" are likely to retain the top two spots during the third weekend (24-26 January) at the Chennai box office. However, their collections might drop significantly owing to new releases.
Both the action-packed entertainers have turned out to be big hits at the box office. The Pongal holidays worked in the films' favour and helped them rake in fantastic collections. As of Friday (24 January), both "Veeram" and "Jilla" have completed 15-day theatrical run.
With the success of "Veeram", Ajith has got two back-to-back hits including "Arrambam." The actor is all set to commence his new film with Gautham Menon from February. Will Ajith hit a hat-trick with his Gautham Menon film? That's something one needs to wait and watch.
On the other hand, "Jilla" success should bring a sense of relief for Vijay whose last release "Thalaivaa" was an average grosser. The actor will start his new film with director Murugadoss soon. It remains to be seen if the actor-director duo will be able to re-create the "Thuppakki" magic.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies