Box Office Collection: Ajith's 'Veeram', Vijay's 'Jilla' Successfully Enter 3rd Week
By sangeetha seshagiri | January 25, 2014 7:53 PM EST
Ajith's "Veeram" and Vijay's "Jilla" have successfully entered the third week at the worldwide box office.
Ajith and Santhanam in "Veeram" (Facebook/Veeram Movie Fans Page)
Both the films have reaped gold at the box office, earning good collections. Despite several new releases, "Jilla" and "Veeram" will be shown in several screens not just in India but also in the overseas markets. The Ajith and Vijay starrers will continue to run in 6 and 5 screens, respectively, in the US, according to the films' distributors (US) ATMUS Entertainment.
"Veeram" and "Jilla" are holding well in Tamil Nadu, although there has been a spate of new releases including "Goli Soda", "Malini 22 Palayamkottai" and "Jai Ho."
"Jilla" is leading the worldwide box office with the Vijay starrer earning over ₹73 crore in 10 days, whereas "Veeram" grossed around ₹69 crore at the worldwide box office.
However, "Veeram" has outperformed "Jilla" in Tamil Nadu. In the state's capital city Chennai, "Veeram" ruled the roost last weekend (17-19 January) and Monday (20 January) followed by "Jilla", according to entertainment industry tracker Sreedhar Pillai.
Chennai Box Office (Jan 17 to 20)
3. Endrendrum Punnagai
4. Yevadu (Telugu)
5. 1 Nenokkadine (Telugu)
"Veeram" and "Jilla" are likely to retain the top two spots during the third weekend (24-26 January) at the Chennai box office. However, their collections might drop significantly owing to new releases.
Both the action-packed entertainers have turned out to be big hits at the box office. The Pongal holidays worked in the films' favour and helped them rake in fantastic collections. As of Friday (24 January), both "Veeram" and "Jilla" have completed 15-day theatrical run.
With the success of "Veeram", Ajith has got two back-to-back hits including "Arrambam." The actor is all set to commence his new film with Gautham Menon from February. Will Ajith hit a hat-trick with his Gautham Menon film? That's something one needs to wait and watch.
On the other hand, "Jilla" success should bring a sense of relief for Vijay whose last release "Thalaivaa" was an average grosser. The actor will start his new film with director Murugadoss soon. It remains to be seen if the actor-director duo will be able to re-create the "Thuppakki" magic.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 'Sylvester Stallone Dies In Horrible Car Accident’ Death Hoax Goes Viral
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoiler: Revelation Of Reason Why Penny, Leonard ‘Not’ Getting Married Soon
- 'The Bachelorette' Update: Andi Dorfman And Josh Murray To Setup Career In Hollywood- Reports
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 26, 2014: Past Mistakes, Betrayals And Confrontations In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- Katy Perry's Date Riff Raff At MTV VMAs: Top 5 Things To Know About The Rapper
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?