Box Office Collection: Ajith's 'Veeram', Vijay's 'Jilla' Successfully Enter 3rd Week
By sangeetha seshagiri | January 25, 2014 7:53 PM EST
Ajith's "Veeram" and Vijay's "Jilla" have successfully entered the third week at the worldwide box office.
Ajith and Santhanam in "Veeram" (Facebook/Veeram Movie Fans Page)
Both the films have reaped gold at the box office, earning good collections. Despite several new releases, "Jilla" and "Veeram" will be shown in several screens not just in India but also in the overseas markets. The Ajith and Vijay starrers will continue to run in 6 and 5 screens, respectively, in the US, according to the films' distributors (US) ATMUS Entertainment.
"Veeram" and "Jilla" are holding well in Tamil Nadu, although there has been a spate of new releases including "Goli Soda", "Malini 22 Palayamkottai" and "Jai Ho."
"Jilla" is leading the worldwide box office with the Vijay starrer earning over ₹73 crore in 10 days, whereas "Veeram" grossed around ₹69 crore at the worldwide box office.
However, "Veeram" has outperformed "Jilla" in Tamil Nadu. In the state's capital city Chennai, "Veeram" ruled the roost last weekend (17-19 January) and Monday (20 January) followed by "Jilla", according to entertainment industry tracker Sreedhar Pillai.
Chennai Box Office (Jan 17 to 20)
3. Endrendrum Punnagai
4. Yevadu (Telugu)
5. 1 Nenokkadine (Telugu)
"Veeram" and "Jilla" are likely to retain the top two spots during the third weekend (24-26 January) at the Chennai box office. However, their collections might drop significantly owing to new releases.
Both the action-packed entertainers have turned out to be big hits at the box office. The Pongal holidays worked in the films' favour and helped them rake in fantastic collections. As of Friday (24 January), both "Veeram" and "Jilla" have completed 15-day theatrical run.
With the success of "Veeram", Ajith has got two back-to-back hits including "Arrambam." The actor is all set to commence his new film with Gautham Menon from February. Will Ajith hit a hat-trick with his Gautham Menon film? That's something one needs to wait and watch.
On the other hand, "Jilla" success should bring a sense of relief for Vijay whose last release "Thalaivaa" was an average grosser. The actor will start his new film with director Murugadoss soon. It remains to be seen if the actor-director duo will be able to re-create the "Thuppakki" magic.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop