Box Office Collection: Ajith's 'Veeram', Vijay's 'Jilla' Successfully Enter 3rd Week
By sangeetha seshagiri | January 25, 2014 7:53 PM EST
Ajith's "Veeram" and Vijay's "Jilla" have successfully entered the third week at the worldwide box office.
Ajith and Santhanam in "Veeram" (Facebook/Veeram Movie Fans Page)
Both the films have reaped gold at the box office, earning good collections. Despite several new releases, "Jilla" and "Veeram" will be shown in several screens not just in India but also in the overseas markets. The Ajith and Vijay starrers will continue to run in 6 and 5 screens, respectively, in the US, according to the films' distributors (US) ATMUS Entertainment.
"Veeram" and "Jilla" are holding well in Tamil Nadu, although there has been a spate of new releases including "Goli Soda", "Malini 22 Palayamkottai" and "Jai Ho."
"Jilla" is leading the worldwide box office with the Vijay starrer earning over ₹73 crore in 10 days, whereas "Veeram" grossed around ₹69 crore at the worldwide box office.
However, "Veeram" has outperformed "Jilla" in Tamil Nadu. In the state's capital city Chennai, "Veeram" ruled the roost last weekend (17-19 January) and Monday (20 January) followed by "Jilla", according to entertainment industry tracker Sreedhar Pillai.
Chennai Box Office (Jan 17 to 20)
3. Endrendrum Punnagai
4. Yevadu (Telugu)
5. 1 Nenokkadine (Telugu)
"Veeram" and "Jilla" are likely to retain the top two spots during the third weekend (24-26 January) at the Chennai box office. However, their collections might drop significantly owing to new releases.
Both the action-packed entertainers have turned out to be big hits at the box office. The Pongal holidays worked in the films' favour and helped them rake in fantastic collections. As of Friday (24 January), both "Veeram" and "Jilla" have completed 15-day theatrical run.
With the success of "Veeram", Ajith has got two back-to-back hits including "Arrambam." The actor is all set to commence his new film with Gautham Menon from February. Will Ajith hit a hat-trick with his Gautham Menon film? That's something one needs to wait and watch.
On the other hand, "Jilla" success should bring a sense of relief for Vijay whose last release "Thalaivaa" was an average grosser. The actor will start his new film with director Murugadoss soon. It remains to be seen if the actor-director duo will be able to re-create the "Thuppakki" magic.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery