Box Office Collection: Ajith's 'Veeram', Vijay's 'Jilla' Successfully Enter 3rd Week
By sangeetha seshagiri | January 25, 2014 7:53 PM EST
Ajith's "Veeram" and Vijay's "Jilla" have successfully entered the third week at the worldwide box office.
Ajith and Santhanam in "Veeram" (Facebook/Veeram Movie Fans Page)
Both the films have reaped gold at the box office, earning good collections. Despite several new releases, "Jilla" and "Veeram" will be shown in several screens not just in India but also in the overseas markets. The Ajith and Vijay starrers will continue to run in 6 and 5 screens, respectively, in the US, according to the films' distributors (US) ATMUS Entertainment.
"Veeram" and "Jilla" are holding well in Tamil Nadu, although there has been a spate of new releases including "Goli Soda", "Malini 22 Palayamkottai" and "Jai Ho."
"Jilla" is leading the worldwide box office with the Vijay starrer earning over ₹73 crore in 10 days, whereas "Veeram" grossed around ₹69 crore at the worldwide box office.
However, "Veeram" has outperformed "Jilla" in Tamil Nadu. In the state's capital city Chennai, "Veeram" ruled the roost last weekend (17-19 January) and Monday (20 January) followed by "Jilla", according to entertainment industry tracker Sreedhar Pillai.
Chennai Box Office (Jan 17 to 20)
3. Endrendrum Punnagai
4. Yevadu (Telugu)
5. 1 Nenokkadine (Telugu)
"Veeram" and "Jilla" are likely to retain the top two spots during the third weekend (24-26 January) at the Chennai box office. However, their collections might drop significantly owing to new releases.
Both the action-packed entertainers have turned out to be big hits at the box office. The Pongal holidays worked in the films' favour and helped them rake in fantastic collections. As of Friday (24 January), both "Veeram" and "Jilla" have completed 15-day theatrical run.
With the success of "Veeram", Ajith has got two back-to-back hits including "Arrambam." The actor is all set to commence his new film with Gautham Menon from February. Will Ajith hit a hat-trick with his Gautham Menon film? That's something one needs to wait and watch.
On the other hand, "Jilla" success should bring a sense of relief for Vijay whose last release "Thalaivaa" was an average grosser. The actor will start his new film with director Murugadoss soon. It remains to be seen if the actor-director duo will be able to re-create the "Thuppakki" magic.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers, Speculations: Stana Katic's Beckett To See Nathan Fillion's Rick 'On A Sugar Rush' Again [REVIEW]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery