Egyptian Diplomat Kidnapped in Libyan Capital
January 25, 2014 6:28 PM EST
A file photo of members of Libyan army walking towards one of headquarters of Islamist Ansar al-Sharia militia group to try to break into it in Benghazi
The diplomat works as administrative attache at the Egyptian mission, the Libyan and Egyptian foreign ministries said. No more details were immediately available.
"Talks are being held to free him," said a spokesman for the Egyptian foreign ministry.
The kidnapping comes shortly after the Operations Room of Libya's Revolutionaries, a powerful militia, said its leader Shaban Hadia had been arrested in Egypt.
"Mr Shaban Hadia was arrested in Egypt where he travelled with his family for medical treatment," said Adel al-Gharyani, one of the leaders of the group, adding that security forces had stormed the place where he had been staying.
He denied the group had kidnapped the Egyptian diplomat but called on Cairo to release Shaban.
"We warn the Egyptian authorities to release him in the next hours," he said. "If this doesn't happen then there will be a strong response from our side."
There was no immediate comment from Egyptian officials on the Shaban arrest.
The Operations Room is one of dozens of large militias which helped topple Muammar Gaddafi in a NATO-backed uprising but refuse to disarm. Government officials blamed the group for the brief kidnapping of Prime Minister Ali Zeidan in October.
Foreigners have been targeted in several incidents recently in the OPEC producer. Libyan security forces earlier this week freed a South Korean trade official who had been held for days by unknown gunmen.
An American teacher was shot dead in Benghazi in December, and in January, a British man and a New Zealand woman were killed execution-style on a beach in western Libya.
Security has deteriorated in Libya as the government struggles to control former rebels, militias and Islamist militants in the vast North African country still awash with weapons.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Australia's Renewable Energy Industry Braces for Removal of Support
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How