Pope Preparing Major Statement on Ecology, Vatican Says
January 25, 2014 6:21 PM EST
Pope Francis, who took his name from the saint seen as the patron of the animals and the environment, is writing an encyclical on man's relationship with nature, the Vatican said on Friday.
The Vatican spokesman, Father Federico Lombardi, confirmed the project after French President Francois Hollande told reporters the pope had told him about it during a meeting earlier in the day.
Lombardi told Vatican Radio that the project was still in its early stages and that it was premature to say when it would be ready.
He said the theme of the encyclical, the highest form of papal writing, would be "the ecology of mankind".
Since his election in March, the leader of the world's 1.2 billion Roman Catholics has made many appeals in defence of the environment.
His latest on January 14 was in his so-called "state of the world" address to diplomats accredited to the Vatican, when he said, "God always forgives, we sometimes forgive, but when nature - creation - is mistreated, she never forgives."
In a speech about two weeks after his election on March 13, the pope said he had taken his name after St. Francis of Assisi because he "teaches us profound respect for the whole of creation and the protection of our environment, which all too often, instead of using for the good, we exploit greedily, to one another's detriment."
Francis of Assisi, the 13th saint, loved nature. He is said to have preached to birds and called the sun brother and the moon sister.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Makes First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- Naked Russian Artist Strikes Anew, Cuts Off Earlobes To Protest Return Of Soviet-Era Policies
- Australia Braces For 'Catastrophic Conditions' As Bushfire Season Begins
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand