Bomb Explodes Near Cairo Police Academy, One Wounded
January 25, 2014 6:17 PM EST
A bomb exploded near a police academy in Cairo on Saturday, wounding one person, security sources said.
The explosion, which occurred on the third anniversary of the uprising that toppled autocrat Hosni Mubarak, came a day after a wave of bomb attacks targeting police killed six people and raised fears that an Islamic insurgency is gaining momentum.
Islamist militants have stepped up attacks since the army toppled President Mohamed Mursi of the Muslim Brotherhood in July. Hundreds of security forces have been killed.
Mursi's overthrow plunged Egypt into political turmoil which has hit investment and tourism hard.
More violence is expected on Saturday, when rival political factions gather to mark the anniversary of Mubarak's downfall.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe