'Malini 22 Palayamkottai' Review Roundup: Average Revenge Drama
By sangeetha seshagiri | January 25, 2014 4:40 PM EST
"Malini 22 Palayamkottai", directed by actress Sripriya, has received mixed reviews from critics.
The film is a revenge drama that highlights sexual assault against women.
Malini 22 Palayamkottai (Twitter/Sripriya)
Malini (Nithya Menen), a nurse from Palayamkottai, works in Chennai. She dreams of going to Canada to make it big in her life. Varun (Krish J Sathar) works for a consultancy service and helps her complete all the formalities. While Malini awaits for her visa, Varun tries to woo her and she in turn falls in love with him.
Malini stays at Varun's apartment, gets seduced by his charms, and they both get intimate. The next day, when Malini is alone, Varun's boss Prakash (Naresh) comes and rapes her. Varun vows to take revenge and convinces Malini that they relocate to Coimbatore. There she gets arrested for carrying illegal drugs and is lodged in prison. She finds out that Varun and his partner-in-crime Prakash have conspired to get her arrested. The rest of the story is about how she takes revenge against Varun and Prakash.
Here is the review roundup of "Malini 22 Palayamkottai"
S Saraswathi of Rediff says, "'Sripriya's Malini 22 Palayamkottai' deals with an extremely relevant issue of contemporary society. The film comes at a time when incidents of rape and violence against women seem to have become a common, everyday occurrence."
"The subject is well handled by Sripriya, but the film does get a bit dramatic in the end with poisonous cobras, and castration offered as a solution to this grave issue."
Sify says, "The areas that needed more focus have been handled with in a less serious way by director Sri Priya. The character of Malini itself is rather half-baked, with her nature fluctuating quite abruptly. At times she is naïve and gullible, and in latter half, her transformation into the bold and revenge-seeking girl is too fast and looks unconvincing."
According to Behindwoods Review Board, "The first half should have been made better, be it the nondescript scene transition or the pedestrian comedy doesn't help the movie. Also, the key element of the first half, romance, is short of the charm it needs for Malini and Varun, played by Krish, to be a couple worth spending our feelings for."
According to Indiaglitz, "A gripper script and convincing portrayal of the turn of events could have done much wonders. Yet this film deserves your time and money for its earnestness to urging the women to not give up at any point."
Verdict: Average Revenge Drama
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 'Sylvester Stallone Dies In Horrible Car Accident’ Death Hoax Goes Viral
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoiler: Revelation Of Reason Why Penny, Leonard ‘Not’ Getting Married Soon
- 'The Bachelorette' Update: Andi Dorfman And Josh Murray To Setup Career In Hollywood- Reports
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett to Rediscover Nathan Fillion's Rick Castle; 'Derrick Storm' Coming to ABC [VIDEO]
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 26, 2014: Past Mistakes, Betrayals And Confrontations In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza