Kiwi Missionary Pastor Found Guilty Of Importing Drugs To Australia
By Anne Lu | January 25, 2014 4:49 AM EST
A New Zealand pastor has been found guilty of importing more than nine kilograms of methamphetamine and heroin into Australia. Bernadine Terry Prince, who also goes by the name of Pastor Bernie McCully, is facing up to three years in jail after a Supreme Court jury in Darwin found her guilty on Thursday.
Ms Prince has been in custody since her arrest in Darwin in May 2013. She was charged with importing a commercial quantity of a border-controlled substance.
As a pastor for an evangelical Christian organisation called Oasis of Grace, Ms Prince, 41, had been travelling in Kenya and Cambodia, and was returning to Australia when her luggage was delayed in Singapore.
When her bags arrived in Darwin, a Customs officer detected traces of drugs on seven vinyl backpacks, which were unusually heavy, as per the Australian Associated Press.
The officer then discovered packages sewn into each backpack containing crystal methamphetamine and heroin with a combined weight of over 9 kilograms and which had a street value of up to AUD2 million.
Ms Prince, who is originally from Whakatane, denied any knowledge of the drugs inside the backpacks. She told the police that a Kenyan woman known as “Mummy Rose” suggested that she sell the bags, which she had been told were made by Kenyan men and women, to her Australian congregation to raise funds. Mummy Rose and her son apparently packed the bags into her suitcases with her.
But Crown prosecutor Glen Rice didn’t believe her, saying that the bags were commercially made and could have been manufactured anywhere. They were also tagged as made in China.
Mr Rice added that the cardboard used to pack the drugs was from Cambodia, which could mean that the backpacks were not obtained in Kenya or were filled with the drugs during her four days in Cambodia on her return trip.
She is due to be sentenced next week, and is facing a maximum of three years imprisonment and AUD340,000 fine.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories