Rafael Nadal vs Roger Federer Record: Spaniard Leads with 23 Wins
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 24, 2014 11:35 PM EST
In what could be their last meeting in the Australian Open, two iconic tennis players - Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal - took on each other in the epic semi-final at the Rod Laver Arena on Friday; their 33rd meeting on court.
Rafael Nadal of Spain and Roger Federer of Switzerland hug at the net, after Nadal won their men's singles semi-final match at the Australian Open 2014 tennis tournament in Melbourne
Nadal, who was facing a hand blister scare, was unstoppable on Friday, beating Federer in straight sets (7-6, 6-3, 6-3) to book a place in the final. The Spaniard dominated the game from the very start and ensured his opponent did not bounce back.
Federer, who has won a record 17 Grand Slam singles titles, had set up a clash with Nadal in the semifinals by beating Andy Murray 6-3, 6-4, 6-7(6), 6-3 in the quarterfinals. Meanwhile, Nadal beat Grigor Dimitrov 3-6 7-6(3) 7-6(7) 6-2 to book a place in the last four.
The 27-year-old Spaniard had the psychological edge when he took on Federer on Friday, considering his good record against him.
With the win on Friday, Nadal has improved his record against the Swiss icon to 23 wins out of 33 games. Nadal has beaten Federer in all three Australian Open meetings and now eyes another title win at Melbourne, which could take his Grand Slam tally to 14, which would see him match Pete Sampras' record.
Here is a head-to-head of the two tennis titans:
Total matches played: 33
Matches won: Nadal - 23; Federer - 10
Grand Slam matches won: Nadal - 8; Federer - 2
Grand Slam finals won: Nadal - 7; Federer - 2
Australian Open: Nadal - 3; Federer - 0
French Open: Nadal - 5; Federer - 0
Wimbledon: Federer - 2; Federer - 1
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected