Rafael Nadal vs Roger Federer Record: Spaniard Leads with 23 Wins
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 24, 2014 11:35 PM EST
In what could be their last meeting in the Australian Open, two iconic tennis players - Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal - took on each other in the epic semi-final at the Rod Laver Arena on Friday; their 33rd meeting on court.
Rafael Nadal of Spain and Roger Federer of Switzerland hug at the net, after Nadal won their men's singles semi-final match at the Australian Open 2014 tennis tournament in Melbourne
Nadal, who was facing a hand blister scare, was unstoppable on Friday, beating Federer in straight sets (7-6, 6-3, 6-3) to book a place in the final. The Spaniard dominated the game from the very start and ensured his opponent did not bounce back.
Federer, who has won a record 17 Grand Slam singles titles, had set up a clash with Nadal in the semifinals by beating Andy Murray 6-3, 6-4, 6-7(6), 6-3 in the quarterfinals. Meanwhile, Nadal beat Grigor Dimitrov 3-6 7-6(3) 7-6(7) 6-2 to book a place in the last four.
The 27-year-old Spaniard had the psychological edge when he took on Federer on Friday, considering his good record against him.
With the win on Friday, Nadal has improved his record against the Swiss icon to 23 wins out of 33 games. Nadal has beaten Federer in all three Australian Open meetings and now eyes another title win at Melbourne, which could take his Grand Slam tally to 14, which would see him match Pete Sampras' record.
Here is a head-to-head of the two tennis titans:
Total matches played: 33
Matches won: Nadal - 23; Federer - 10
Grand Slam matches won: Nadal - 8; Federer - 2
Grand Slam finals won: Nadal - 7; Federer - 2
Australian Open: Nadal - 3; Federer - 0
French Open: Nadal - 5; Federer - 0
Wimbledon: Federer - 2; Federer - 1
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Rafael Nadal To Kick Off 2015 Season At The Mubadala World Tennis Championship, Undergoes Knee Treatment Prior Appendectomy
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2