Rafael Nadal vs Roger Federer Record: Spaniard Leads with 23 Wins
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 24, 2014 11:35 PM EST
In what could be their last meeting in the Australian Open, two iconic tennis players - Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal - took on each other in the epic semi-final at the Rod Laver Arena on Friday; their 33rd meeting on court.
Rafael Nadal of Spain and Roger Federer of Switzerland hug at the net, after Nadal won their men's singles semi-final match at the Australian Open 2014 tennis tournament in Melbourne
Nadal, who was facing a hand blister scare, was unstoppable on Friday, beating Federer in straight sets (7-6, 6-3, 6-3) to book a place in the final. The Spaniard dominated the game from the very start and ensured his opponent did not bounce back.
Federer, who has won a record 17 Grand Slam singles titles, had set up a clash with Nadal in the semifinals by beating Andy Murray 6-3, 6-4, 6-7(6), 6-3 in the quarterfinals. Meanwhile, Nadal beat Grigor Dimitrov 3-6 7-6(3) 7-6(7) 6-2 to book a place in the last four.
The 27-year-old Spaniard had the psychological edge when he took on Federer on Friday, considering his good record against him.
With the win on Friday, Nadal has improved his record against the Swiss icon to 23 wins out of 33 games. Nadal has beaten Federer in all three Australian Open meetings and now eyes another title win at Melbourne, which could take his Grand Slam tally to 14, which would see him match Pete Sampras' record.
Here is a head-to-head of the two tennis titans:
Total matches played: 33
Matches won: Nadal - 23; Federer - 10
Grand Slam matches won: Nadal - 8; Federer - 2
Grand Slam finals won: Nadal - 7; Federer - 2
Australian Open: Nadal - 3; Federer - 0
French Open: Nadal - 5; Federer - 0
Wimbledon: Federer - 2; Federer - 1
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Dallas Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones Badly Wants Mayweather vs. Pacquiao At Cowboys Stadium
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies