AAP Wrap-Up 24 Jan: Arvind Kejriwal Continues Defending Somnath Bharti, Party to Release Video; Binny Sustains Protest
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | January 24, 2014 10:47 PM EST
Friday's news surrounding AAP were around Arvind Kejriwal's and party's continued support for Somnath Bharti.
AAP Says Bharti's Midnight Raid was Based on Evidence
Aam Aadmi party on Friday came up with one of the strongest defense for Somanth Bharti
Aam Aadmi Party on Friday came up with a strong defence for Bharti, saying the law minister's midnight raid was conducted based on some evidence.
AAP leader Yogendra Yadav's comments came amid calls for the removal of Bharti who has been involved in a number of controversies of late.
"I saw the evidence myself... I admit that the mistake was that we should have cobbled together all the evidence and put it in public domain and let the public view it. I think we allowed the mistaken impression to persist for 4-5 days, which was an error," PTI quoted Yadav as saying.
Public Confrontation between Bharti's Lawyers and Delhi Commission for Women
Amid the growing uproar against the law minister, who has been accused by the women's commission as a racist and sexist, Bharti's lawyers and the Delhi women's commission had a public confrontation on Friday, in front of the media.
Bharti was summoned by the women's commission on Friday afternoon to give explanations about the alleged mistreatment towards the African women during the infamous raid last week but Bharti sent his lawyer instead of going himself.
AAP to Release Video of Somnath Bharti Raid
In addition to the continued claim by AAP that there is no prima facie evidence that Bharti behaved like a racist or sexist during the raid, the party will also release video clips of the much-talked-about event.
On Thursday night, the clips were monitored by the party and an edited version of the raw footage was sent to the Delhi Commission for Women.
Binny Calls for Bharti to Step Down
Meanwhile, IANS has reported that rebel AAP legislator Vinod Kumar Binny met with Delhi Police Commissioner BS Bassi on Friday and said that action must be taken against the law minister for his vigilante raid.
"The antics of our law minister has brought shame to Delhi and the country. The chief minister (Arvind Kejriwal) should have removed Bharti from his post by now, he must step down," he was quoted as saying.
Shiv Shena Equates Rakhi Shawant with Arvind Kejriwal.
In a hilarious turn of events within the clamour surrounding AAP and Kejriwal, Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray could perhaps be attributed for the most bizarre and grotesque comments ever made against the new Delhi CM.
Thackeray, in an editorial in his party's propaganda publication Saamna, said item girl Rakhi Sawant could do better governance than the Delhi Chief Minister, adding that Kejriwal was a "circus ringmaster leading a fair of madmen."
"Even an item girl Rakhi Sawant can govern better than Kejriwal. Small-time actors take to item performances after failing to get decent work. Arvind Kejriwal's item performance too will last as long as this spectacle does," Thackeray said in the infamous article.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date