Inside the Life of Cecil Chao: HK Tycoon Doubles Bounty to Marry Off Lesbian Daughter
By Vanessa Francisco | January 24, 2014 7:27 PM EST
A Hong Kong tycoon may just double a "marriage bounty" to look for a make suitor for his lesbian daughter to 130 million USD, in spite of his initial offer already attracting 20,000 candidates. In 2012, wealthy property developer Cecil Chao made it to global headlines by offering a 500 million HKD (65 million USD) reward to any man who can persuade his daughter Gigi to get married.
Chao now considers increasing his initial offer according to reports. The 77-year-old tycoon said this figure could still even be doubled to 1 billion HKD if someone could just capture Gigi's heart. "I do not want to interfere with my daughter's private life," Chao said. "I only want her to have a good marriage as well as children and inherit my business eventually."
Chao has a lavish house, which has a staggering floorspace of around 16,000 square feet with over four luxurious floors. The living room has a circular glass wall offering incredible views of the bay outdoor, a grand piano and a pair of expensive modernist sculptures by Angel Botello.
A custom-made double chandelier hangs from the ceiling in the center of the room. European antique furniture fill the rooms along with some Buddhist ornaments and Chinese lacquerware. Chao was born in poverty in Shanghai, China.
This is undoubtedly a new attempt to financial success for any man who can capture Gigi's heart but it has left her upset, along with her female partner of nine year, Sean Eav who was reportedly distraught about the matter, the South China Morning Post said. "I do not think my father's offering of any amount of money could attract a man I would actually find attractive," the 33-year-old Gigi told the Hong Kong newspaper. "I would be happy to be friends with any man willing to donate big amounts of money to my charity Faith in Love, given that they do not mind I already have a wife."
"Third and finally, thank you Daddy," she continued. "I love you, too."
Gigi is said to have gotten married with Eav in a ceremony in France back in 2012 but same sex marriages are not recognized in Hong Kong. Chao's initial offer was issues in the same year and attracted 20,000 responses from around the globe. It did not change Gigi's mind at the time. Gigi has taken her father's behavior in stride, telling a newspaper that she believes this was only an indication of how much he loved her.
Gigi had repeatedly asked for his father to stop mentioning the financial offer to the press. Sacha Baron Cohen, a British movie producer, is reportedly working on a movie based on this story. Neither Chao nor Gigi, who owns the publicly listed property developer Cheuk Nang, could be reached for any comment. Chao belongs to the Hong Kong high society and appears regularly at public events with his latest young girlfriend. Reports say he has slept with 10,000 women.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Racist Note Stereotyping Asian Drivers Left on Parked Car in NSW Sparks Online Outrage
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- New Zealand Election Countdown: Final Campaign Week Marred With More Controversial 'Revelations'
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III