Chelsea Announce Agreement for Liverpool Target Salah as Mata Nears Manchester United Move
By Vishnuprasad Pillai | January 24, 2014 7:17 PM EST
Chelsea have announced they have reached an agreement with Basel regarding the transfer of Egypt international Mohamed Salah.
Salah can operate as a right winger or an attacking midfielder. The 21-year-old, , who has been a Liverpool target for months, is now all set to join the Blues in the next few days, subject to a medical and personal terms agreement.
"Chelsea Football Club can confirm an agreement has been reached with FC Basel for the transfer of their 21-year-old attacking midfielder Mohamed Salah. The move is subject to the Egyptian international agreeing personal terms and completing a medical examination," read a statement on the club's official website.
Liverpool were strongly linked with a £12 million move for Salah in this transfer window. However, according to various reports, Chelsea have offered Basel a higher transfer fee for the midfielder, after agreeing to sell out-of-favour playmaker Juan Mata to Manchester United for £37m.
Salah had scored for Basel in both matches against Chelsea in this season's Champions League group stage campaign, helping the Swiss club beat the Blues on both occasions.
The player, who had joined Basel from native side El Mokawloon in 2012, has also scored 17 goals in 27 senior international appearances for the Egypt national team.
Meanwhile, Mata is reportedly undergoing a medical with United, ahead of his proposed club record move. The Spain international, who was Chelsea' Player of the Year for the last two seasons, fell down the pecking order under manager Jose Mourinho this season, managing just 14 starts in all competitions so far this term.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage