Chelsea Announce Agreement for Liverpool Target Salah as Mata Nears Manchester United Move
By Vishnuprasad Pillai | January 24, 2014 7:17 PM EST
Chelsea have announced they have reached an agreement with Basel regarding the transfer of Egypt international Mohamed Salah.
Salah can operate as a right winger or an attacking midfielder. The 21-year-old, , who has been a Liverpool target for months, is now all set to join the Blues in the next few days, subject to a medical and personal terms agreement.
"Chelsea Football Club can confirm an agreement has been reached with FC Basel for the transfer of their 21-year-old attacking midfielder Mohamed Salah. The move is subject to the Egyptian international agreeing personal terms and completing a medical examination," read a statement on the club's official website.
Liverpool were strongly linked with a £12 million move for Salah in this transfer window. However, according to various reports, Chelsea have offered Basel a higher transfer fee for the midfielder, after agreeing to sell out-of-favour playmaker Juan Mata to Manchester United for £37m.
Salah had scored for Basel in both matches against Chelsea in this season's Champions League group stage campaign, helping the Swiss club beat the Blues on both occasions.
The player, who had joined Basel from native side El Mokawloon in 2012, has also scored 17 goals in 27 senior international appearances for the Egypt national team.
Meanwhile, Mata is reportedly undergoing a medical with United, ahead of his proposed club record move. The Spain international, who was Chelsea' Player of the Year for the last two seasons, fell down the pecking order under manager Jose Mourinho this season, managing just 14 starts in all competitions so far this term.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’