Chelsea Announce Agreement for Liverpool Target Salah as Mata Nears Manchester United Move
By Vishnuprasad Pillai | January 24, 2014 7:17 PM EST
Chelsea have announced they have reached an agreement with Basel regarding the transfer of Egypt international Mohamed Salah.
Salah can operate as a right winger or an attacking midfielder. The 21-year-old, , who has been a Liverpool target for months, is now all set to join the Blues in the next few days, subject to a medical and personal terms agreement.
"Chelsea Football Club can confirm an agreement has been reached with FC Basel for the transfer of their 21-year-old attacking midfielder Mohamed Salah. The move is subject to the Egyptian international agreeing personal terms and completing a medical examination," read a statement on the club's official website.
Liverpool were strongly linked with a £12 million move for Salah in this transfer window. However, according to various reports, Chelsea have offered Basel a higher transfer fee for the midfielder, after agreeing to sell out-of-favour playmaker Juan Mata to Manchester United for £37m.
Salah had scored for Basel in both matches against Chelsea in this season's Champions League group stage campaign, helping the Swiss club beat the Blues on both occasions.
The player, who had joined Basel from native side El Mokawloon in 2012, has also scored 17 goals in 27 senior international appearances for the Egypt national team.
Meanwhile, Mata is reportedly undergoing a medical with United, ahead of his proposed club record move. The Spain international, who was Chelsea' Player of the Year for the last two seasons, fell down the pecking order under manager Jose Mourinho this season, managing just 14 starts in all competitions so far this term.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence