Samsung Galaxy S5 Release Roundup: New UI Leak, Eye Scanner 2K Display and More
By Precious Silva | January 24, 2014 5:21 PM EST
Samsung Galaxy S5 has been turning out to be one of the most anticipated gadgets this year. The Samsung Galaxy S4 was a highly successful product. The market wants to see if Samsung can replicate or surpass the success of the S4 with the S5. According to recent reports and leaks, Samsung Galaxy S5 is fast becoming one of the most powerful smartphones to hit stores. Recent information says the device will feature a new user interface, eye scanner, 2K display and 64-bit processor. Can Samsung deliver a powerful flagship?
A Samsung Electronics' Galaxy S4 (front) and Apple's iPhone 5 smartphones are seen in this picture illustration taken in Seoul May 13, 2013.
Many reports agree that Samsung can release two Galaxy S5 variants: one made of plastic and other of metal. Similar leaks hint that the device will feature a 2K display offering 1440x2560 pixels (QHD). The device will also reportedly come with a 2900mAh battery and iris scanner. The iris scanner will go against the TouchID feature on the iPhone 5s. It can open and close the device based on scanning the user's iris.
In December 2013, a leaked image of a Samsung SM-G900S featured a 2K display offering 1440x2560 pixels. Many sources believe this is a prototype of the Samsung Galaxy S5. There were also two screen sizes tested for the device: 5 and 5.2 inches. Given the screen size, the device can provide up to 560ppi.
PhoneArena reported that the Samsung Galaxy S5 will feature a 20-megapixel camera as opposed to the rumored 16 megapixels. However, there are also reports saying that Samsung ordered 181 million units of 16-megapixel cameras already providing otherwise. The number of units ordered and reported is enough to say people should expect Samsung's next smartphones to feature 16MP cameras.
PhoneArenas cited in its report that Samsung plans on including a wide variety of health accessories to its flagship smartphone. The site did not divulge further what these features would be. Analysts estimate the Samsung Galaxy S5 to sell for 650 euros for the plastic variant while the metal variant will sell for 800 euros. Other reported features include a Super AMOLED display, Exynos 6 processor and Android 4.4. KitKat. The Exynos will reportedly offer the same or more power than Apple's A7 64-bit processor.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports