Sony Xperia Z1S vs. Xperia Z1: 8 Similarities, 4 Differences and 3 Downsides You Should Know First
By Ryan Inoyori | January 24, 2014 4:30 PM EST
Sony released the Xperia Z1S smartphone exclusive for T-Mobile network that features IP58, quad-core Snapdragon processor and 32 GB internal storage. However, if you own or planning to purchase Xperia Z1, is it worth changing to Xperia Z1s instead? Here are facts you need to know between the two devices.
Similarities Between Them
Both devices are identical to one another upon first glance but only by checking the box or 'about phone' inside the settings will help you find out them. There are many similarities between the two that you must know before purchasing either of them.
1. IP58 certification: Xperia Z1S and Xperia Z1 features IP58 certification which means it is water resistant for more than 1 metre within 30 minutes of submersion and added dust resistance.
2. Display and Resolution: Nothing is different in terms of display since both boasts 5.0-inches of screen size, 1080 x 1920 full HD and 441 ppi pixel density.
3. Display Mobile Engines: Triluminos and X-Reality for mobile engines are available on Xperia Z1S or Xperia Z1.
4. Shatter proof and scratch resistant glass: Sony made both devices resilient against shock damage on the display screen.
5. Memory: Sony installed a 2 GB RAM chipset on Xperia Z1S and Z1 which makes them both equally good in multitasking.
6. Camera: You'll find the same Sony G lens camera with 20.7 MP and relatively similar apps and camera modes.
7. Same processor: Both devices are powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 clocked at 2.2 GHz with Adreno 330 as graphics chipset.
8. Battery Rating: Shockingly, Xperia Z1S is no better in terms of battery life as it features the same 3000 mAh on Xperia Z1.
Their Main Differences
1. Sony launched Xperia Z1S with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean while Xperia Z1 runs Android 4.2.2 which can be upgraded to 4.3. Users of Xperia Z1S is only waiting for Android 4.4 KitKat update coming this year.
2. Xperia Z1S is 8 grams lighter than Xperia Z1.
3. Sony gave Xperia Z1S 32 GB of internal storage which makes it twice capable of storing data than Xperia Z1.
4. T-Mobile exclusively handles Xperia Z1S as a variant of Xperia Z1 smartphone.
Downsides of Owning Xperia Z1S or Z1
Even with such powerful hardware features and anti-hazard proofing, there are still a few things considered as downside on both flagship smartphones.
1. Both features a non-removable battery unit.
2. None of them runs Android 4.4 KitKat OS version yet.
3. Snapdragon 800 isn't the latest Qualcomm high class processor.
If you are planning to get a Sony flagship smartphone, consider first on finding out T-Mobile network service in your area before getting Xperia Z1S. In addition, Xperia Z remains an alternative and cheaper device versus the two.
To contact the editor, e-mail: