Who Invented Internet? God, Says Pope Francis
By Keerthi Mohan | January 24, 2014 2:30 PM EST
Pope Francis on Thursday has put an end to the debate on who invented the Internet saying it was a gift from God, reports said.
The pope's message on Catholic Church communications noted that although the Internet has opened up communication channels, this technological advancement has a lot of negative aspects as well.
“This is something truly good, a gift from God,” the Pope wrote, according to The Independent. But he added that “the desire for digital connectivity can have the effect of isolating us from our neighbours, from those closest to us.”
Communication in the digital era, Pope Francis said, was like “a balm which relieves pain and a fine wine which gladdens hearts,” multiple reports said.
In addition to talking about the wonders of technological advancement and how it has facilitated the process of starting a dialogue, Pope Francis said that Catholics shouldn’t be arrogant to believe that they alone possess the truth.
“To [have a] dialogue means to believe that the 'other' has something worthwhile to say, and to entertain his or her point of view and perspective,” the pope wrote, according to The Independent. “Engaging in dialogue does not mean renouncing our own ideas and traditions, but the pretence that they alone are valid and absolute.”
This comment is likely to ruffle many feathers of conservative members of the church as its teachings have long indicated that only Catholics can find salvation.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop