Bankruptcy Court Approves Assets Sale of Railroad Company Involved in Canada Disaster
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 24, 2014 2:01 PM EST
A bankruptcy court in the U.S. has approved the assets sale of Montreal, Maine and Atlantic Railways (MM&A), seven months after it figured in a fiery railway crash in Lac-Megantic, Quebec that killed 47 people.
Railroad Acquisition Holdings LLC, an affiliate of New York-based Fortress Investment Group, former owner of one of the largest short-line railways in the U.S., has been approved to purchase the insolvent MM&A railway at US$15.85 million for the entire network in both countries.
The Fortress group targets to close its purchase by March 31.
The amount however is still not enough to cover debts to creditors as well as pay the victims of the July 2013 rail disaster.
"It's a fair price for the railroad given the changing landscape following several other railroad oil spills, the prospect of higher insurance premiums and an uncertain regulatory future," the AP quoted U.S. federal bankruptcy trustee Robert Keach as saying.
"We think this is a very good sale for the state of Maine, for the region, for the railroad. Fortress is a proven operator. They have access to capital and I think this will ultimately be a very good thing for the state and for the railroad," he added.
MM&A operates 770 kilometres of track in Maine, Vermont and Quebec.
Fortress operates short-line railways including Florida East Coast Railway. It used to hold a 60 per cent stake in Rail America before it was sold two years ago.
There were more than 40 potential bidders that expressed interest to purchase all or parts of the MM&A. Only 18 however signed confidentiality agreements to gain access to internal financial numbers.
Fortress was the lone bidder for the entire network.
"They certainly have committed both to the court and to us that they intend to operate on both sides of the border and that's a good thing," Mr Keach said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- West Africa Ebola Epidemic To Last 12-18 Months More
- BC Teachers’ Strike Reaches Tentative Deal With Government, Date of Class Resumptions Still Not Sure
- Security for Pope Francis' Albania Trip At Status Quo, Won’t Be Reinforced Despite ISIS Threat – Vatican
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- Air France Pilots’ Strike: Only 40% of Scheduled Wednesday Flights Will Operate
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown