Lakers Trade Rumors: Kevin Love, Kyrie Irving Tandem in 2015
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 24, 2014 1:23 PM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers are undoubtedly on a rebuilding mode. With a handful of expiring contracts - including Pau Gasol's expiring deal - coming off the books at the end of the season, the Lakers are in position to add firepower this coming summer with names like Carmelo Anthony, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh expected to be available on the free agency market.
Kobe Bryant could get some help in 2015, when Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving are available
However, it doesn't look like the Lakers are going all in this class of free agents, given that these players are already in the second half or even near the twilight of their careers.
General manager Mitch Kupchak said that he may opt to wait another year for the franchise to make aggressive moves on the free agency market with up-and-coming stars like Kevin Love, LaMarcus Aldridge, Brook Lopez, Klay Thompson (restricted) and Kyrie Irving available (restricted).
"With Bryant locked in for the next two years, there is still space for a max player both this coming summer and the next. But in theory, if you like players you think would be up in 2015 and 2016, would you want to avoid giving a maximum contract this coming summer for a player you aren't sure you want for five years?," Kupchack answered with a yes.
The Lakers front office head did not have second thought in answering the question, admitting that he may snub the upcoming crop of free agents for the chance to nab young stars in 2015 and 2016.
The Obsession for Love
In the wake of report indicating Love's preference to join the Lakers once he becomes an unrestricted free agent 2015, Lakers fans are sure ecstatic about the possibility of adding an MVP-caliber big man to play alongside Kobe Bryant.
Then again, with Bryant entering perhaps his final seasons, the Lakers nation is suddenly in search of another star who would help Love (if signed) carry the winning tradition of the purple and gold franchise.
"I would definitely go with Kevin Love as my first pick. Love is a dominant rebounder who can score the ball from inside and out. Capable big men have always been the Lakers' mainstay, and a key to winning championships throughout their rich history," stated by Lakersholics mainstay Suki Thind (@TheRealSuki).
Irving and Love running the floor
Though there are over 50 per cent chance may end up in Lakers uniform by that time, it's uncertain if the Lakers can get a wizard-like point guard. Kyrie Irving, two-time All-Star and former Rookie of the Year, will be a restricted free agent in 2015, and team such as the Lakers, Dallas Mavericks and New York Knicks will sure try to get their hands on the explosive guard.
However, the nature of his contract will prevent these teams from getting Irving and allow the Cavs to extend the All-Star for at least four or five seasons. Right now, it's a fantasy to think the Lakers can make a duo consist of Love and Irving for future campaigns. Though there's still a possibility Irving may end up with the Lakers in 2015, if he forces a blockbuster deal involving picks, and young players. Who knows? The Lakers are the Lakers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6