Lakers Trade Rumors: Kevin Love, Kyrie Irving Tandem in 2015
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 24, 2014 1:23 PM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers are undoubtedly on a rebuilding mode. With a handful of expiring contracts - including Pau Gasol's expiring deal - coming off the books at the end of the season, the Lakers are in position to add firepower this coming summer with names like Carmelo Anthony, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh expected to be available on the free agency market.
Kobe Bryant could get some help in 2015, when Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving are available
However, it doesn't look like the Lakers are going all in this class of free agents, given that these players are already in the second half or even near the twilight of their careers.
General manager Mitch Kupchak said that he may opt to wait another year for the franchise to make aggressive moves on the free agency market with up-and-coming stars like Kevin Love, LaMarcus Aldridge, Brook Lopez, Klay Thompson (restricted) and Kyrie Irving available (restricted).
"With Bryant locked in for the next two years, there is still space for a max player both this coming summer and the next. But in theory, if you like players you think would be up in 2015 and 2016, would you want to avoid giving a maximum contract this coming summer for a player you aren't sure you want for five years?," Kupchack answered with a yes.
The Lakers front office head did not have second thought in answering the question, admitting that he may snub the upcoming crop of free agents for the chance to nab young stars in 2015 and 2016.
The Obsession for Love
In the wake of report indicating Love's preference to join the Lakers once he becomes an unrestricted free agent 2015, Lakers fans are sure ecstatic about the possibility of adding an MVP-caliber big man to play alongside Kobe Bryant.
Then again, with Bryant entering perhaps his final seasons, the Lakers nation is suddenly in search of another star who would help Love (if signed) carry the winning tradition of the purple and gold franchise.
"I would definitely go with Kevin Love as my first pick. Love is a dominant rebounder who can score the ball from inside and out. Capable big men have always been the Lakers' mainstay, and a key to winning championships throughout their rich history," stated by Lakersholics mainstay Suki Thind (@TheRealSuki).
Irving and Love running the floor
Though there are over 50 per cent chance may end up in Lakers uniform by that time, it's uncertain if the Lakers can get a wizard-like point guard. Kyrie Irving, two-time All-Star and former Rookie of the Year, will be a restricted free agent in 2015, and team such as the Lakers, Dallas Mavericks and New York Knicks will sure try to get their hands on the explosive guard.
However, the nature of his contract will prevent these teams from getting Irving and allow the Cavs to extend the All-Star for at least four or five seasons. Right now, it's a fantasy to think the Lakers can make a duo consist of Love and Irving for future campaigns. Though there's still a possibility Irving may end up with the Lakers in 2015, if he forces a blockbuster deal involving picks, and young players. Who knows? The Lakers are the Lakers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People