Indian Woman, 20, Reportedly Ordered To Be Gang-Raped By Village Council As Punishment For Affair
By Anne Lu | January 24, 2014 11:29 AM EST
An Indian woman was ordered to be “enjoyed" by the men of her village in West Bengal state because she fell in love with a man from a different community. The village headman allegedly commanded the gang rape after her family failed to pay the fine for her action.
The 20-year-old alleged victim is currently in the hospital in critical condition. It was said to be a case of gang rape, although the official result of the medical examinations hasn’t been released yet.
According to NDTV News, the unnamed woman was tied up to a tree on Monday night as was ordered by the village council. Her crime was apparently loving a man from a different tribe.
She told the paper that the village elders summoned her and her lover, tied them to a tree and asked them to pay 25,000 rupees [AUD460] each. The man was let go after his family paid the fine, but the woman’s family couldn’t afford it; and hence, she was forcibly taken to a small hut where at least 10 men sexually assaulted her.
She was warned not to share her ordeal. It was only on Wednesday when her family was able to sneak her out of the village to file a police report.
“The morol (village headman) ordered that I be ‘enjoyed’ by the men of the village. Following his orders, at least 10-12 people, including (some) members of a single family, continuously raped me. I lost count of how many times I was raped,” the woman told NDTV.
Police have since arrested 13 men in connection with the gruesome case.
The alleged victim wouldn’t be able to get support on her case from the people in her village, though. Some villagers are completely denying the crime.
“She is a bad character. She was going around with this non-tribal man. We told her not to but she didn’t listen,” a young mother, whose husband’s brother was included in the arrested suspects, was quoted by the paper as saying.
“The salishi sabha (kangaroo court) went on the whole night. I was there. When was it possible to gang-rape the girl?” The woman continued with a threat of her own, saying,” If she dares to come back to the village, I will kill her.”
Earlier in January, a 51-year-old Danish woman touring India was beaten and gang-raped at knifepoint in Delhi. Another tourist, A Polish woman, was also reportedly drugged and raped by a taxi driver while she was travelling to New Delhi with her young daughter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales