Adele’s Cousin, Georgia Harrup, Hopes To Find Fame On ‘The Voice UK’
By Anne Lu | January 24, 2014 10:09 AM EST
Adele’s distant cousin is set for stardom as well. Georgia Harrup, who found out about her familial connection with the Grammy Award winner just a few years prior, impressed the judges of “The Voice UK” with her rendition of Ray Charles’ “Hallelujah I Love Her So.”
The talent show has had an interesting contestant during a taped blind audition at the end of 2013. That contestant turned out to have “good genes,” as she told the judges.
Georgia, 27, reportedly amazed the judges with her soulful performance of the R&B classic, leading her to advance in the next stage of the competition.
The call centre worker actually has a famous connection in Adele, but she wasn’t aware that she’s related to the “Rolling in the Deep” hitmaker until 2009, just when Adele’s fame was starting to rise.
“One day my dad rang his family and asked how everyone was doing and they said, ‘Adele is on tour, doing really well,’” Georgia recalled to The Sun. Her father is the brother of Adele’s grandmother.
“He asked what she was doing touring, and they said, “She’s that Adele.’ He came off the phone and told me that the person whose album I loved was related to me. I couldn’t believe it, as she was always a massive inspiration to me anyway.”
The aspiring singer said she met her famous cousin only once as a child. She didn’t want to use her family connection, though, adding that she will not be asking for Adele to help her achieve her dream.
“I didn’t want to push my career in her face so she felt obliged to help me. If she made contact I think I’d sit there in a daze.”
“The Voice UK” began its third series on January 11 on BBC One. Will.i.am and Tom Jones returned as coaches, with Ricky Wilson and Kylie Minogue joining them on the panel. Emma Willis and Marvin Humes co-present the show.
Georgia’s blind audition will be aired on Saturday.
— Georgia Harrup (@georgiaharrup) January 19, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Kendra Wilkinson's Divorce Troubles: Hank Baskett Cheated Before Allegedly Caught with Transexual Model - Reports
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers, Speculations: Stana Katic in More ‘Beast’ Action, Nathan Fillion Mulls Caskett Wedding Schedule
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015