New Zealand’s $4B Fruit, Veggie Export Market Under Threat Due to 1 Queensland Fruit Fly in Northland
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 24, 2014 9:03 AM EST
RPI is calculated from the average price changes in a number of goods and services (Reuters)
Horticulture New Zealand warned the country's fruit and vegetable exporters that their produce could be blocked by overseas market because one pesky Queensland fruit fly in Northland was discovered.
The insect was collected using a trap near the Whangarei port on Tuesday and was formally identified on Wednesday.
At risk is a $4-billion horticulture industry since more of the insect could result in damaged crops of growers, which could lead to exporters closing their doors on New Zealand fruits and veggies - the country's fourth largest export earner.
The Ministry for Primary Industries confirmed the presence of the Queensland fruit fly in the Parihaka area and placed more traps.
Andrew Coleman of the ministry said it is important to determine if it was just one insect or a whole colony in Whangarei which could damage a bigger range of fresh produce.
To restrict the movement of fruits and veggies, MPI set a controlled area, a 1.5-kilometre circular zone in parts of Parihaki, Riverside and central Whangarei. Whole fresh fruits and vegetables from that controlled area cannot be moved out.
Residents were also advised not to place their veggies in the compost but in a waste disposal unit or special bins provided by the MPI.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- While Asian Property Markets Are Cooling, 92% Of Philippine Real Estate Agents & Brokers Are Positive About Next 12 Months
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon November 28, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon November 27, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning November 28, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday November 28, 2014
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast