New Zealand’s $4B Fruit, Veggie Export Market Under Threat Due to 1 Queensland Fruit Fly in Northland
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 24, 2014 9:03 AM EST
RPI is calculated from the average price changes in a number of goods and services (Reuters)
Horticulture New Zealand warned the country's fruit and vegetable exporters that their produce could be blocked by overseas market because one pesky Queensland fruit fly in Northland was discovered.
The insect was collected using a trap near the Whangarei port on Tuesday and was formally identified on Wednesday.
At risk is a $4-billion horticulture industry since more of the insect could result in damaged crops of growers, which could lead to exporters closing their doors on New Zealand fruits and veggies - the country's fourth largest export earner.
The Ministry for Primary Industries confirmed the presence of the Queensland fruit fly in the Parihaka area and placed more traps.
Andrew Coleman of the ministry said it is important to determine if it was just one insect or a whole colony in Whangarei which could damage a bigger range of fresh produce.
To restrict the movement of fruits and veggies, MPI set a controlled area, a 1.5-kilometre circular zone in parts of Parihaki, Riverside and central Whangarei. Whole fresh fruits and vegetables from that controlled area cannot be moved out.
Residents were also advised not to place their veggies in the compost but in a waste disposal unit or special bins provided by the MPI.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28