New Zealand’s $4B Fruit, Veggie Export Market Under Threat Due to 1 Queensland Fruit Fly in Northland
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 24, 2014 9:03 AM EST
RPI is calculated from the average price changes in a number of goods and services (Reuters)
Horticulture New Zealand warned the country's fruit and vegetable exporters that their produce could be blocked by overseas market because one pesky Queensland fruit fly in Northland was discovered.
The insect was collected using a trap near the Whangarei port on Tuesday and was formally identified on Wednesday.
At risk is a $4-billion horticulture industry since more of the insect could result in damaged crops of growers, which could lead to exporters closing their doors on New Zealand fruits and veggies - the country's fourth largest export earner.
The Ministry for Primary Industries confirmed the presence of the Queensland fruit fly in the Parihaka area and placed more traps.
Andrew Coleman of the ministry said it is important to determine if it was just one insect or a whole colony in Whangarei which could damage a bigger range of fresh produce.
To restrict the movement of fruits and veggies, MPI set a controlled area, a 1.5-kilometre circular zone in parts of Parihaki, Riverside and central Whangarei. Whole fresh fruits and vegetables from that controlled area cannot be moved out.
Residents were also advised not to place their veggies in the compost but in a waste disposal unit or special bins provided by the MPI.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 22, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- BHP Billiton Goads Abbott Government to Also Repeal Mining Tax Law
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning July 23, 2014
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales