Taylor Swift On Lorde’s Alleged Diss Of Her: It’s Not That Bad
By Anne Lu | January 24, 2014 8:50 AM EST
Taylor Swift didn’t think Lorde’s alleged diss of her wasn’t that bad. The two young singers are now BFFs even after the 17-year-old Kiwi rising international star called the 24-year-old U.S. songstress “unattainable” and “flawless” in an old interview. Taylor apparently didn’t mind the comment at all.
In the October 2013 issue of Metro magazine, Lorde had mentioned Taylor in what the latter’s fans felt was a criticism of the “You Belong With Me” singer.
“Taylor Swift is so flawless and so unattainable, and I don’t think it’s breeding anything good in young girls,” she was quoted by the magazine as saying.
“’I’m never going to be like Taylor Swift, why can’t I be as pretty as Lorde?’ That’s f****** bulls***.”
Lorde has since explained the alleged diss, saying she regretted naming Taylor as an example.
“I think I cocked that up a bit and what I said wasn’t put in context also,” she wrote on her Tumblr page as a response to a fan question about her Taylor comment.
“What I meant was: there’s a lot of importance placed on physical perfection in this industry, and I wish my favourite stars didn’t look perfect because I think fans (me included) have these feelings of worthlessness, like they’ll never be as pretty/talented/whatever, as a result of this intense photoshop culture and the endless strive for perfection.
“ts was the first person I thought of, which I regret. She happens to be good looking, but I think she actually uses her other imperfections in an incredibly powerful and relatable way.”
She even included praises for the slightly older singer, adding, “I will probably never be the kind of role model for my fans that ts is for hers. I admire her very much for this reason. Basically, this is an apology for not thinking too hard before I speak. Peace.”
Cut to December, Lorde and Taylor were seen getting lunch together. Lorde was also spotted supporting Taylor in her Auckland concert. Their sudden closeness prompts their fans to ask how exactly did their friendship happen.
According to Lorde, Taylor made the first move. The Grammy nominee told Rolling stone magazine that she was “floored” when she received roses from Taylor after her “Royals” hit the top of music charts.
As for her “unattainable” comment on Taylor, Lorde said of the other star, “She was like, It’s fine. If all you’ve done is call someone perfect, it’s not that bad.’”
Meanwhile, Taylor’s other BFF, Selena Gomez, said she is also open to a possible reconciliation with Lorde. The former Disney star was peeved when Lorde criticised her song “Come & Get It” in a previous interview, prompting her to lash out at the New Zealander. Selena then claimed Lorde wasn’t really a feminist as she claimed because she criticised other women.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers for Sept. 1-5, 2014: Sabrina Seeks Revenge
- 5 Seconds of Summer Calum Hood's D--K Vine Video Goes Viral
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Jessica Lange Says New Season ‘Most Extraordinary’
- Anna Paquin Says She Took Home ‘Cute, English Dude’ Stephen Moyer From The Set Of “True Blood”
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Actor Charlie Hunnam Gushes Over Co-star Maggie Siff, Says He Is Most Proud of Jax, Tara's Relationship [VIDEO}
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October