Taylor Swift On Lorde’s Alleged Diss Of Her: It’s Not That Bad
By Anne Lu | January 24, 2014 8:50 AM EST
Taylor Swift didn’t think Lorde’s alleged diss of her wasn’t that bad. The two young singers are now BFFs even after the 17-year-old Kiwi rising international star called the 24-year-old U.S. songstress “unattainable” and “flawless” in an old interview. Taylor apparently didn’t mind the comment at all.
In the October 2013 issue of Metro magazine, Lorde had mentioned Taylor in what the latter’s fans felt was a criticism of the “You Belong With Me” singer.
“Taylor Swift is so flawless and so unattainable, and I don’t think it’s breeding anything good in young girls,” she was quoted by the magazine as saying.
“’I’m never going to be like Taylor Swift, why can’t I be as pretty as Lorde?’ That’s f****** bulls***.”
Lorde has since explained the alleged diss, saying she regretted naming Taylor as an example.
“I think I cocked that up a bit and what I said wasn’t put in context also,” she wrote on her Tumblr page as a response to a fan question about her Taylor comment.
“What I meant was: there’s a lot of importance placed on physical perfection in this industry, and I wish my favourite stars didn’t look perfect because I think fans (me included) have these feelings of worthlessness, like they’ll never be as pretty/talented/whatever, as a result of this intense photoshop culture and the endless strive for perfection.
“ts was the first person I thought of, which I regret. She happens to be good looking, but I think she actually uses her other imperfections in an incredibly powerful and relatable way.”
She even included praises for the slightly older singer, adding, “I will probably never be the kind of role model for my fans that ts is for hers. I admire her very much for this reason. Basically, this is an apology for not thinking too hard before I speak. Peace.”
Cut to December, Lorde and Taylor were seen getting lunch together. Lorde was also spotted supporting Taylor in her Auckland concert. Their sudden closeness prompts their fans to ask how exactly did their friendship happen.
According to Lorde, Taylor made the first move. The Grammy nominee told Rolling stone magazine that she was “floored” when she received roses from Taylor after her “Royals” hit the top of music charts.
As for her “unattainable” comment on Taylor, Lorde said of the other star, “She was like, It’s fine. If all you’ve done is call someone perfect, it’s not that bad.’”
Meanwhile, Taylor’s other BFF, Selena Gomez, said she is also open to a possible reconciliation with Lorde. The former Disney star was peeved when Lorde criticised her song “Come & Get It” in a previous interview, prompting her to lash out at the New Zealander. Selena then claimed Lorde wasn’t really a feminist as she claimed because she criticised other women.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Kylie Jenner Shamed for Range Rover Boasts
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Exits DWTS For Jennifer Lopez --- Reports
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools