Arsenal FC News: Wenger Blasts Mata Deal as Unfair
By Mark Wayne Eubank | January 24, 2014 5:31 AM EST
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is quite shocked by the fact that Chelsea agreed to sell Juan Mata to Manchester United, and questions the timing of the deal.
“They could have sold him last week but it opens at least the opportunity [to question] the dates of this transfer window.” - Arsene Wenger
The Blues have played the Red Devils for the second time in the Premier League last Sunday, which means that they will no longer come face-to-face for the remainder of the season - a fact that may have given the west London outfit a direct and/or indirect advantage that the French mentor sees as unfair.
"They could have sold him last week but it opens at least the opportunity [to question] the dates of this transfer window," Wenger told arsenal.com.
"Some teams have already played twice against one opponent and some others not. I think if you want to respect the fairness for everybody exactly the same, that should not happen."
"I just think you would want that everybody is on the same level. Chelsea do not make the rules but maybe the rules should be a bit more adapted to more fairness."
The transfer may be viewed as a ploy for the Blues to make life harder for their competition as Arsenal, Manchester City, and Liverpool, who are all contenders for the title, have yet to face United again.
A strengthened Red Devils squad does not, in any way, help their respective causes of competing for the crown.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles