Arsenal FC News: Wenger Blasts Mata Deal as Unfair
By Mark Wayne Eubank | January 24, 2014 5:31 AM EST
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is quite shocked by the fact that Chelsea agreed to sell Juan Mata to Manchester United, and questions the timing of the deal.
“They could have sold him last week but it opens at least the opportunity [to question] the dates of this transfer window.” - Arsene Wenger
The Blues have played the Red Devils for the second time in the Premier League last Sunday, which means that they will no longer come face-to-face for the remainder of the season - a fact that may have given the west London outfit a direct and/or indirect advantage that the French mentor sees as unfair.
"They could have sold him last week but it opens at least the opportunity [to question] the dates of this transfer window," Wenger told arsenal.com.
"Some teams have already played twice against one opponent and some others not. I think if you want to respect the fairness for everybody exactly the same, that should not happen."
"I just think you would want that everybody is on the same level. Chelsea do not make the rules but maybe the rules should be a bit more adapted to more fairness."
The transfer may be viewed as a ploy for the Blues to make life harder for their competition as Arsenal, Manchester City, and Liverpool, who are all contenders for the title, have yet to face United again.
A strengthened Red Devils squad does not, in any way, help their respective causes of competing for the crown.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools