Arsenal FC News: Wenger Blasts Mata Deal as Unfair
By Mark Wayne Eubank | January 24, 2014 5:31 AM EST
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is quite shocked by the fact that Chelsea agreed to sell Juan Mata to Manchester United, and questions the timing of the deal.
“They could have sold him last week but it opens at least the opportunity [to question] the dates of this transfer window.” - Arsene Wenger
The Blues have played the Red Devils for the second time in the Premier League last Sunday, which means that they will no longer come face-to-face for the remainder of the season - a fact that may have given the west London outfit a direct and/or indirect advantage that the French mentor sees as unfair.
"They could have sold him last week but it opens at least the opportunity [to question] the dates of this transfer window," Wenger told arsenal.com.
"Some teams have already played twice against one opponent and some others not. I think if you want to respect the fairness for everybody exactly the same, that should not happen."
"I just think you would want that everybody is on the same level. Chelsea do not make the rules but maybe the rules should be a bit more adapted to more fairness."
The transfer may be viewed as a ploy for the Blues to make life harder for their competition as Arsenal, Manchester City, and Liverpool, who are all contenders for the title, have yet to face United again.
A strengthened Red Devils squad does not, in any way, help their respective causes of competing for the crown.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage