‘Sunrise’ Hosts Samantha Armytage And David Koch Fire Back At Writer Over ‘Strippergate’ Scandal [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | January 23, 2014 11:58 PM EST
“Sunrise” presenters Samantha Armytage and David Koch are up in arms against a Web site blogger, who claimed Koch was “sexist and demeaning” to his co-host after holding a stripper pole for Armytage. The “strippergate” controversy led their critic, Mamamia Web site editor-in-chief Jamila Rizvi, to receive death threats after the incident.
On Tuesday, the Channel 7 breakfast show was criticised for its presenters “low brow” humour during an online fashion segment, in which Armytage was donning a pair of silver shoes that she thought looked like “stripper heels.” Koch then showed up with a pole, and Armytage wrapped a leg around it.
“Be careful because they’re quite reflective,” Koch told Armytage, referring to the shoes.
But there were viewers who didn’t find Koch’s humour funny, with some saying the show and Koch humiliated Armytage by forcing her to become a sex symbol on the show.
Executive producer Michael Pell defended the hosts, telling news.com.au that the stunt was “just a bit of fun. It certainly gave us all a good laugh. If any strippers have been offended by this video, we sincerely apologise.”
That didn’t appease Rizvi, though. She wrote on the women’s Web site that that the “bit of fun” excuse wasn’t enough because it “trumps Sam’s dignity.”
“It was sexist and demeaning,” the blogger wrote of the “strippergate” stunt. “Samantha Armytage is a journalist. Not eye candy there for the titillation of Kochie, the crew or the viewers.”
Koch replied to Rizvi on the Web site, but apparently, the reply was deleted from the site. Mamamia publisher Mia Freedman denied that they banned Koch’s reply from appearing.
The “Sunrise” host posted the photo of his reply on his Twitter, telling Rizvi that her claim was “ridiculous... pathetic really.”
“Your comment is actually demeaning to her [Armytage]. And as for being eye candy for me is just plain offensive to me, my wife, my daughters and my family.”
He continued, “It was all a bit of fun. I know it is shocking to have a bit of fun today, to have a bit of banter, to take the mickey out of each other... but that’s just us. Life is too short to be continually angry.”
— david koch (@kochie_online) January 22, 2014
Armytage also fired back on air, saying, “I found it to be far more insulting... to be labelled by a woman who doesn’t know me, who obviously doesn’t watch the show because she didn’t know what’s going on, who would describe me as a ‘piece of candy’ for my male co-host, which is ridiculous.”
She also backed Koch, adding, “I don’t like this part of the sisterhood that insists on running down men to be a feminist. I like the men I work with. I respect the men I work with. I won’t do it and I won’t be a part of it.”
The entire strippergate fiasco didn’t go well for Rizvi in the end, though. Freedman told Fairfax Media that Rizvi is “shaken after receiving a number of death threats.”
Both Freedman and Rizvi have been receiving “vile” messages since the incident, and have now arranged for a third party to record and delete each one.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft