Edythe Kirchmaier at 106 is Facebook's Oldest User
By Christine Lazaro | January 23, 2014 7:02 PM EST
A man is silhouetted against a video screen with an Facebook logo as he poses with an Dell laptop in this photo illustration taken in the central Bosnian town of Zenica, August 14, 2013. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic
ABC News reported that it was in 2013 when Ms Kirchmaier was first recognized as the oldest denizen of the most popular social media site online. She got her account in Facebook up and going when her friends from a medical aid charity called Direct Relief signer her up. She was 105 years old then.
Aside from being the oldest Facebook user, she is also the oldest licensed driver in California. Another milestone with regards to her age is that she is the oldest living graduate of the University of Chicago.
Kerri Murray, the official spokesperson of the charity she belongs to, confessed that they first had trouble entering Ms Kirchmaier's birth year of 1908 when they signed her up at the site. This is all because the system kept on having glitches with the engineers spending up until a month to verify her real age. In short, no one amongst the site's engineers ever thought a 105-year-old will sign up for FB.
How Edythe Kirchmaier Welcomes the New World
According to the Facebook's oldest user, she takes advantage of social media to check and interact with the loved ones in her life. She also uses her status updates to spread awareness in encouraging others to volunteer for Direct Relief. She even personally told ABC News that it is her goal to make her favourite charity become more popular.
However, no matter how adept she is with modern technology despite her being a centenarian, she still consistently drafts thank you letters in her own handwriting sent out to the donors of their charity. She does this routine for the past 41 years of her life, each and every Tuesday.
With all her effort allotted to social media even at such an old age, the Facebook's oldest user already has 45,000 friends and has 105,000 likes for her Direct Relief fan page. Others can visit the page to make donations and even become a volunteer.
(Video Credit: YouTube/OWN TV)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge: Top Reasons To Upgrade From Galaxy Note 3 Or Galaxy Note 2
- Android 5.0 L November And December Rollout: Android One, Nexus, Google Play, Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 4
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition' Warrior, Rogue, Mage Gameplay And Combat Strategies
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ And ‘Rogue’ Updates: More Revealed For Co-Op, Collector’s Edition And Possible PC Debut
- iOS 8 Bugs: Minor, Moderate And Serious Issues Why Users Should Not Upgrade Immediately
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best