Edythe Kirchmaier at 106 is Facebook's Oldest User
By Christine Lazaro | January 23, 2014 7:02 PM EST
A man is silhouetted against a video screen with an Facebook logo as he poses with an Dell laptop in this photo illustration taken in the central Bosnian town of Zenica, August 14, 2013. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic
ABC News reported that it was in 2013 when Ms Kirchmaier was first recognized as the oldest denizen of the most popular social media site online. She got her account in Facebook up and going when her friends from a medical aid charity called Direct Relief signer her up. She was 105 years old then.
Aside from being the oldest Facebook user, she is also the oldest licensed driver in California. Another milestone with regards to her age is that she is the oldest living graduate of the University of Chicago.
Kerri Murray, the official spokesperson of the charity she belongs to, confessed that they first had trouble entering Ms Kirchmaier's birth year of 1908 when they signed her up at the site. This is all because the system kept on having glitches with the engineers spending up until a month to verify her real age. In short, no one amongst the site's engineers ever thought a 105-year-old will sign up for FB.
How Edythe Kirchmaier Welcomes the New World
According to the Facebook's oldest user, she takes advantage of social media to check and interact with the loved ones in her life. She also uses her status updates to spread awareness in encouraging others to volunteer for Direct Relief. She even personally told ABC News that it is her goal to make her favourite charity become more popular.
However, no matter how adept she is with modern technology despite her being a centenarian, she still consistently drafts thank you letters in her own handwriting sent out to the donors of their charity. She does this routine for the past 41 years of her life, each and every Tuesday.
With all her effort allotted to social media even at such an old age, the Facebook's oldest user already has 45,000 friends and has 105,000 likes for her Direct Relief fan page. Others can visit the page to make donations and even become a volunteer.
(Video Credit: YouTube/OWN TV)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- How To Play 4K Graphics Quality On 1080p Games With Any Monitor Using NVIDIA Graphics Cards
- PS4 v. Xbox One: More Details For Firmware 2.0 Update, Xbox Screenshot Feature And Paid Xbox Music Emerge
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'