'The Vampire Diaries' Star Ian Somerhalder Promotes The Plastic Bank Which Aims to Use Plastic Waste as Currency [WATCH VIDEOS]
By Janice Somosot | January 22, 2014 10:00 PM EST
"The Vampire Diaries" (TVD) star Ian Somerhalder is promoting The Plastic Bank which aims to use plastic waste as currency. Somerhalder is a well-known environmentalist who has set up his own foundation called the Ian Somerhalder Foundation (ISF) which is for the education and empowerment of people to protect the environment and the animals. He tweeted about The Plastic Bank on his official Twitter account to help spread the world about the newest social enterprise that not only targets plastic waste reduction but also poverty.
Check out Somerhalder's tweet about The Plastic Bank below.
Coolest thing I've seen in a very very long time! CHECK THIS OUT http://t.co/QqBqrHlYr2
— ian somerhalder (@iansomerhalder) January 21, 2014
Somerhalder has always been vocal about his love for the environment that is why he is passionate about saving it. It inspired him to put up ISF.
"We are destroying the very place that sustains our lives because of what?" said TVD star Somerhalder in a report by EOnline.
"Money? Greed? Lack of education? It could be a number of things but we must positively look to the future and plan intelligently and sustainably to coexist harmoniously in our beautiful home," added Somerhalder.
This is also why he is supporting The Plastic Bank and helping to promote it to others.
The Plastic Bank is an organisation that sets up plastic repurposing centers around the world, especially in the areas where plastic waste and poverty are rampant.
It encourages people to gather as much plastic waste as they can and these can be used as currency to be exchanged for other things they need such as education, micro-credit loans, household items, tools, parts and even 3D printing.
According to The Plastic Bank's Web site, the organisation's mission is to eradicate plastic waste from the land, waterways and oceans while assisting people to rise from poverty and shift into entrepreneurship mode. This is dubbed as the "Social Plastic" movement.
The Plastic Bank is asking consumers to participate in the "Social Plastic" movement by supporting and joining its social media campaign called "I Demand Corporations Use Recycled Ocean/Social Plastics: The Plastic Bank." Click HERE to find out more about it.
David Katz, The Plastic Bank founder and president, said that a trip to Malaysia really opened his eyes on just how bad the problem of plastic waste has become.
"There was a recent trip to Malaysia where I discovered there really was more plastic on the beach - visibly - than there was sand," said Katz in a Business Vancouver report.
Katz also spoke about how plastic can be used as a resource instead of waste.
"Plastic is talked about as being disposable and easy to waste ... not something of great importance. It should be mined; it should be a resource. Then it will be too costly, too worthwhile, to waste," said Katz in the Business Vancouver report.
Earth911 reports that The Plastic Bank's first repurposing center will be in Lima, Peru and the organisation will begin their work in early 2014.
It's great that "The Vampire Diaries" star Ian Somerhalder is actively promoting The Plastic Bank which aims to use plastic waste as currency. He has been using his popularity for a good cause. By simply tweeting about it, he has reached a lot of people and informed them about this revolutionary "Social Plastic" movement. Hopefully, everyone else supports The Plastic Bank's goals so that the earth will be rid of plastic waste and poverty once and for all.
Watch the video below featuring "The Vampire Diaries" (TVD) star Ian Somerhalder encouraging people to clean up the environment and avoid throwing trash everywhere, especially plastic waste on the beach and in the ocean, rivers and seas.
- READ MORE:
'The Vampire Diaries' Star Ian Somerhalder Posts Selfie with 2014 People's Choice Award, Says He Loves Nina Dobrev on Her Birthday [PHOTOS] (Click HERE)
Ian Somerhalder: 'Vampire Diaries' Actor Promotes Upcoming Showtime Documentary 'Years of Living Dangeroulsy' (Click HERE)
Ian Somerhalder, Nina Dobrev: 'Vampire Diaries' Stars Recall Their Favorite Scene from Pilot Season [WATCH VIDEOS] (Click HERE)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- Walking Fish Reveal How Our Ancestors Evolved Onto Land (Watch Video)
- Artificial Micro-Humans to Replace Animals in Lab Tests: 90 Million Animal Lives Would be Saved
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase