5’1” Petite California Mom Gives Birth to Whopping 15lb Baby Boy
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 21, 2014 2:42 PM EST
Who could have imagined that with her sheer 5'1" frame, Vanessa Cervantez could give birth to a whopping 15lb baby boy. And baby Andrew Jacob Cervantez wasn't actually her first child. He was her third, and biggest so far.
Into her 38th week pregnancy term, Ms Cervantez was visiting her OB/GYN for routine check-up. However it was decided right there and then that she has to deliver the baby via C-section because doctors worried for the unborn child whose fetal movement had decreased.
Despite giving births to two older bigger children, Ms Cervantez nonetheless was shocked when doctors from the Victorville's Desert Valley Hospital told her she gave birth to a 15 pound, 2oz boy who measured 24 inches long at birth.
"I couldn't even believe it. They had to double check because I didn't believe them. I thought the machine was broken. None of the doctors have ever delivered or heard of a baby being born that big here," Ms Cervantez said.
Her other children weighed 10 pounds 10 ounces and 9 pounds 14 ounces at birth.
However, immediately after delivery, baby Andrew Jacob started having problems breathing on his own. He has been transferred to Loma Linda Children's hospital.
Baby Andrew Jacob is now believed to be the state's biggest baby born so far. He outstrip Utah mom Sara Brandon's son Joel Jr, last year's record-breaking baby who arrived in May weighing at exactly 14 pounds.
However, observers believed baby Andrew Jacob's mom probably had gestational diabetes when she was pregnant.
Babies born too large, too big or too heavy actually have larger risks "for very serious consequences both during delivery, for the mother and the infant, as well as later in life - for the infant," Mary Helen Black, a biostatistician with Kaiser Permanente Southern California's department of research and evaluation, earlier told Huffington Post.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- New String Of Ebola In The Democratic Republic Of The Congo; DFAT Advises Against Travel
- Sex Change Surgery Gets Enhanced Cover From US Insurance Firms: Obama Regime's Policy Change Became The Trigger
- Sex With 20 Women Or More Reduces Risk Of Prostate Cancer, Canadian Research Says
- From 30-Inch To 16-Inch Waistline, Woman Shrinks Self With Corset [Video]
- Red Cross Aussie Nurse Says Australia’s Ebola Visa Ban Is Embarrassing
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Vivo Rumoured To Be Building World’s Thinnest Smartphone With 3.8 MM Thickness