5’1” Petite California Mom Gives Birth to Whopping 15lb Baby Boy
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 21, 2014 2:42 PM EST
Who could have imagined that with her sheer 5'1" frame, Vanessa Cervantez could give birth to a whopping 15lb baby boy. And baby Andrew Jacob Cervantez wasn't actually her first child. He was her third, and biggest so far.
Into her 38th week pregnancy term, Ms Cervantez was visiting her OB/GYN for routine check-up. However it was decided right there and then that she has to deliver the baby via C-section because doctors worried for the unborn child whose fetal movement had decreased.
Despite giving births to two older bigger children, Ms Cervantez nonetheless was shocked when doctors from the Victorville's Desert Valley Hospital told her she gave birth to a 15 pound, 2oz boy who measured 24 inches long at birth.
"I couldn't even believe it. They had to double check because I didn't believe them. I thought the machine was broken. None of the doctors have ever delivered or heard of a baby being born that big here," Ms Cervantez said.
Her other children weighed 10 pounds 10 ounces and 9 pounds 14 ounces at birth.
However, immediately after delivery, baby Andrew Jacob started having problems breathing on his own. He has been transferred to Loma Linda Children's hospital.
Baby Andrew Jacob is now believed to be the state's biggest baby born so far. He outstrip Utah mom Sara Brandon's son Joel Jr, last year's record-breaking baby who arrived in May weighing at exactly 14 pounds.
However, observers believed baby Andrew Jacob's mom probably had gestational diabetes when she was pregnant.
Babies born too large, too big or too heavy actually have larger risks "for very serious consequences both during delivery, for the mother and the infant, as well as later in life - for the infant," Mary Helen Black, a biostatistician with Kaiser Permanente Southern California's department of research and evaluation, earlier told Huffington Post.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Australia to Host Human Tests for New Brain Tumour Treatment
- Medical Marijuana Ads In Canada Facing Crackdown: Health Canada Issues Warning Letters To 20 Licensed Producers
- Ebola Vaccine Shows High Immune System Response In Early Tests; Australia Lifts Travel Ban on Congo
- HIV Treatment News: Largest Truvada Trial Happening In Australia
- Ellen DeGeneres Gives El Cajon Man With Viral Weight Loss Video Ford Mustang
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones