5’1” Petite California Mom Gives Birth to Whopping 15lb Baby Boy
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 21, 2014 2:42 PM EST
Who could have imagined that with her sheer 5'1" frame, Vanessa Cervantez could give birth to a whopping 15lb baby boy. And baby Andrew Jacob Cervantez wasn't actually her first child. He was her third, and biggest so far.
Into her 38th week pregnancy term, Ms Cervantez was visiting her OB/GYN for routine check-up. However it was decided right there and then that she has to deliver the baby via C-section because doctors worried for the unborn child whose fetal movement had decreased.
Despite giving births to two older bigger children, Ms Cervantez nonetheless was shocked when doctors from the Victorville's Desert Valley Hospital told her she gave birth to a 15 pound, 2oz boy who measured 24 inches long at birth.
"I couldn't even believe it. They had to double check because I didn't believe them. I thought the machine was broken. None of the doctors have ever delivered or heard of a baby being born that big here," Ms Cervantez said.
Her other children weighed 10 pounds 10 ounces and 9 pounds 14 ounces at birth.
However, immediately after delivery, baby Andrew Jacob started having problems breathing on his own. He has been transferred to Loma Linda Children's hospital.
Baby Andrew Jacob is now believed to be the state's biggest baby born so far. He outstrip Utah mom Sara Brandon's son Joel Jr, last year's record-breaking baby who arrived in May weighing at exactly 14 pounds.
However, observers believed baby Andrew Jacob's mom probably had gestational diabetes when she was pregnant.
Babies born too large, too big or too heavy actually have larger risks "for very serious consequences both during delivery, for the mother and the infant, as well as later in life - for the infant," Mary Helen Black, a biostatistician with Kaiser Permanente Southern California's department of research and evaluation, earlier told Huffington Post.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: Modified Gene Therapy Causing Resistance And Mysterious Enzyme Could Unlock Effective Treatment
- Using Hand Dryers in Public Restrooms Could Spread Germs
- Text Neck Causes More Harm Than You Think
- Kourtney Kardashian Thinks Pregnancy Nausea Should Not Be Called 'Morning Sickness' Because It Lasts All Day
- Beating Postnatal Depression Is Just A Phone Call Away
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports