5’1” Petite California Mom Gives Birth to Whopping 15lb Baby Boy
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 21, 2014 2:42 PM EST
Who could have imagined that with her sheer 5'1" frame, Vanessa Cervantez could give birth to a whopping 15lb baby boy. And baby Andrew Jacob Cervantez wasn't actually her first child. He was her third, and biggest so far.
Into her 38th week pregnancy term, Ms Cervantez was visiting her OB/GYN for routine check-up. However it was decided right there and then that she has to deliver the baby via C-section because doctors worried for the unborn child whose fetal movement had decreased.
Despite giving births to two older bigger children, Ms Cervantez nonetheless was shocked when doctors from the Victorville's Desert Valley Hospital told her she gave birth to a 15 pound, 2oz boy who measured 24 inches long at birth.
"I couldn't even believe it. They had to double check because I didn't believe them. I thought the machine was broken. None of the doctors have ever delivered or heard of a baby being born that big here," Ms Cervantez said.
Her other children weighed 10 pounds 10 ounces and 9 pounds 14 ounces at birth.
However, immediately after delivery, baby Andrew Jacob started having problems breathing on his own. He has been transferred to Loma Linda Children's hospital.
Baby Andrew Jacob is now believed to be the state's biggest baby born so far. He outstrip Utah mom Sara Brandon's son Joel Jr, last year's record-breaking baby who arrived in May weighing at exactly 14 pounds.
However, observers believed baby Andrew Jacob's mom probably had gestational diabetes when she was pregnant.
Babies born too large, too big or too heavy actually have larger risks "for very serious consequences both during delivery, for the mother and the infant, as well as later in life - for the infant," Mary Helen Black, a biostatistician with Kaiser Permanente Southern California's department of research and evaluation, earlier told Huffington Post.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 12 Terrifyingly Healthy Halloween Treats
- Kate Middleton Back To Herself After Struggling With Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- New York Doctor Tests Positive For Ebola
- Ebola Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson Confident Of Human Trials In January And Market Delivery in May Next Year
- Dead Heart Beats Again, Doctors Use It For Transplant – A World’s First For Australia
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation