5’1” Petite California Mom Gives Birth to Whopping 15lb Baby Boy
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 21, 2014 2:42 PM EST
Who could have imagined that with her sheer 5'1" frame, Vanessa Cervantez could give birth to a whopping 15lb baby boy. And baby Andrew Jacob Cervantez wasn't actually her first child. He was her third, and biggest so far.
Into her 38th week pregnancy term, Ms Cervantez was visiting her OB/GYN for routine check-up. However it was decided right there and then that she has to deliver the baby via C-section because doctors worried for the unborn child whose fetal movement had decreased.
Despite giving births to two older bigger children, Ms Cervantez nonetheless was shocked when doctors from the Victorville's Desert Valley Hospital told her she gave birth to a 15 pound, 2oz boy who measured 24 inches long at birth.
"I couldn't even believe it. They had to double check because I didn't believe them. I thought the machine was broken. None of the doctors have ever delivered or heard of a baby being born that big here," Ms Cervantez said.
Her other children weighed 10 pounds 10 ounces and 9 pounds 14 ounces at birth.
However, immediately after delivery, baby Andrew Jacob started having problems breathing on his own. He has been transferred to Loma Linda Children's hospital.
Baby Andrew Jacob is now believed to be the state's biggest baby born so far. He outstrip Utah mom Sara Brandon's son Joel Jr, last year's record-breaking baby who arrived in May weighing at exactly 14 pounds.
However, observers believed baby Andrew Jacob's mom probably had gestational diabetes when she was pregnant.
Babies born too large, too big or too heavy actually have larger risks "for very serious consequences both during delivery, for the mother and the infant, as well as later in life - for the infant," Mary Helen Black, a biostatistician with Kaiser Permanente Southern California's department of research and evaluation, earlier told Huffington Post.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- HIV/AIDS Cure a Step Closer with Anti-Cancer Drugs 'Kicking' Virus Out of Infected Cells
- The Great Australian Sex Census Decodes Sex Technology Habits of Australians
- Dwayne Johnson Talks About Overcoming Depression
- Paris Hilton Quits Junk Food: A High Fat Diet Could Destroy Your Sense of Smell, Study
- Johns Hopkins Hospital Agrees To Pay $190 Million To Settle Gynaecology Scandal
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air