Galaxy S3 Mini Receives Android 4.3 Update Via CyanogenMod 10.2: How to Update
By Precious Silva | January 16, 2014 11:30 AM EST
Android 4.3 Jelly Bean has not been confirmed yet for Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini. Thanks to the CyandogenMod team, device owners can still upgrade to Android 4.3 with or without official release. The CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM offers the updated OS short of the bloatware found in the official version.
Models hold a Samsung 'Galaxy S3 mini' (R) phone and a 'Galaxy S3' phone during the mini's world premiere in Frankfurt October 11, 2012.
The custom ROM provides a TouchWiz interface although it is a pared-down iteration. The update also provides Open GL ES 3.0 and Bluetooth Low Energy support including virtual surround sound. The update features the following:
- 1 GHz bug resolved
- Sensors functionality
- YouTube high quality
- 2D/3D hardware acceleration
- Wireless connectivity
- All-native tethering
- Camera functions
- CPU sleep mode
- Offline charging
- 64 GB SD card support.
The update can be run in the following Galaxy S3 Mini models: i-8910, i-8190N or i-8190L. Users need to root their handsets and install ClockWorkMod custom recovery. Users should also do a manual backup of important settings, personal information and data files in their Galaxy S3 Mini.
For this update, a 50 per cent battery should do. A higher percentage should ensure there will be no power disruptions. Users must enable USB debugging mode on their handsets. To do this, open Settings, go to Applications, choose Development and open USB Debugging. There are also instances when users may find the USB debugging mode under Developer Options.
Check that all drivers have been downloaded and installed on the Samsung S3 Mini. Open Samsung Kies PC Suite and plug the device to the computer. This will install the necessary drivers.
Download the CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM including Google Apps.
Important Note: The CyanogenMod 10.2 is a custom ROM, meaning users have to install it manually on their devices. Providers of the update cannot be held responsible for what happens to the device following installation. Users can update at their own risk. It is best to make sure all instructions are followed correctly.
How to flash:
1. Connect the device to the computer using USB cable.
2. Transfer the CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM and the Google Apps package to SD card of the S3 Mini. Do not extract the files yet.
3. Disconnect the handset and turn the phone off.
4. Reboot the device to recovery mode. Press the back keys, home and volume up controls simultaneously. Wait until the Samsung logo appears.
5. While in the recovery mode, create a backup of the current ROM. To do this, select "backup and restore > backup." This will save the ROM on the SD card. This will allow users to revert to their previous ROM whenever they wish to.
6. Do a rest of the handset. Choose "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache partition > advanced > wipe Dalvik cache."
7. Once this is finished, install the custom ROM. Choose "install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card". Go to the file copied earlier.
8. Reboot the system following installation.
It may take a few minutes, but the upgrade should be installed just fine.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists