Galaxy S3 Mini Receives Android 4.3 Update Via CyanogenMod 10.2: How to Update
By Precious Silva | January 16, 2014 11:30 AM EST
Android 4.3 Jelly Bean has not been confirmed yet for Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini. Thanks to the CyandogenMod team, device owners can still upgrade to Android 4.3 with or without official release. The CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM offers the updated OS short of the bloatware found in the official version.
Models hold a Samsung 'Galaxy S3 mini' (R) phone and a 'Galaxy S3' phone during the mini's world premiere in Frankfurt October 11, 2012.
The custom ROM provides a TouchWiz interface although it is a pared-down iteration. The update also provides Open GL ES 3.0 and Bluetooth Low Energy support including virtual surround sound. The update features the following:
- 1 GHz bug resolved
- Sensors functionality
- YouTube high quality
- 2D/3D hardware acceleration
- Wireless connectivity
- All-native tethering
- Camera functions
- CPU sleep mode
- Offline charging
- 64 GB SD card support.
The update can be run in the following Galaxy S3 Mini models: i-8910, i-8190N or i-8190L. Users need to root their handsets and install ClockWorkMod custom recovery. Users should also do a manual backup of important settings, personal information and data files in their Galaxy S3 Mini.
For this update, a 50 per cent battery should do. A higher percentage should ensure there will be no power disruptions. Users must enable USB debugging mode on their handsets. To do this, open Settings, go to Applications, choose Development and open USB Debugging. There are also instances when users may find the USB debugging mode under Developer Options.
Check that all drivers have been downloaded and installed on the Samsung S3 Mini. Open Samsung Kies PC Suite and plug the device to the computer. This will install the necessary drivers.
Download the CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM including Google Apps.
Important Note: The CyanogenMod 10.2 is a custom ROM, meaning users have to install it manually on their devices. Providers of the update cannot be held responsible for what happens to the device following installation. Users can update at their own risk. It is best to make sure all instructions are followed correctly.
How to flash:
1. Connect the device to the computer using USB cable.
2. Transfer the CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM and the Google Apps package to SD card of the S3 Mini. Do not extract the files yet.
3. Disconnect the handset and turn the phone off.
4. Reboot the device to recovery mode. Press the back keys, home and volume up controls simultaneously. Wait until the Samsung logo appears.
5. While in the recovery mode, create a backup of the current ROM. To do this, select "backup and restore > backup." This will save the ROM on the SD card. This will allow users to revert to their previous ROM whenever they wish to.
6. Do a rest of the handset. Choose "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache partition > advanced > wipe Dalvik cache."
7. Once this is finished, install the custom ROM. Choose "install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card". Go to the file copied earlier.
8. Reboot the system following installation.
It may take a few minutes, but the upgrade should be installed just fine.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes