Chinese New Year Threatened by Increasing Spread of Bird Flu Virus
By Johnlee Varghese | January 16, 2014 3:05 AM EST
The resurgent bird flu epidemic is threatening the New Year festivities in China, as thousands prepare to return to their hometowns for the spring festival.
Nightmare vision: Spectre of deadly bird flu returns in China
In the first week of 2014 itself, the Chinese Health authorities have found 20 new cases of H7N9 bird flu, in the eastern coastal regions. Since March 2013, there has been 150 confirmed bird flu cases reported in China.
According to a report published in Chinese daily Xinhua, the health officials are worried about the fact that the virus is dominantly active during winter and spring. And with thousands of people travelling through mass transports, such as trains, coaches and aircraft, it could create 'favourable circumstances' for the spreading of the disease.
Li Lanjuan of the Chinese Academy of Engineering, a leading bird flu researcher and member of the H7N9 prevention and control group, has reportedly warned that the virus might be spread by migrants returning to their homes (mainly rural) from the eastern regions.
The highlight of Spring Festival this year is that the Chinese Lunar New Year falls on 31 January, which is held as the most important occasion for family reunions. "We are worried about the risk brought by massive numbers of people gathering together in confined spaces," the official was quoted by the Chinese daily.
There is more alarming news as a new study by a Chinese team has found that the new bird flu is highly dynamic and can easily adapt to its environment. The team recently identified a new partial variation in the virus, demonstrating its capacity to adapt to its environment.
"It has increased the risk of human-to-human transmission and brought more difficulty in treatment," the research noted.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones