Arsenal FC Transfer News: Gunners Battle Reds to Sign Senegalese Defender
By Mark Wayne Eubank | January 10, 2014 3:40 AM EST
Rivals Arsenal and Liverpool are already trying to outdo each other, before they even meet for the second time this season in the English Premier League on February, as both are neck-and-neck in signing Anderlecht centre-back Cheikhou Kouyaté.
Race between Arsenal and Liverpool to sign Anderlecht centre-back Cheikhou Kouyate intensifies
The Belgian club was reported to have given the Senegalese their blessings to seek greener pastures once the January transfer window opens.
His agent, Saffet Balkan, has already held talks with the two English sides and revealed that both are keen on bringing in the 24-year-old onto their respective teams permanently.
"I have been in talks with representatives from Liverpool and Arsenal over Cheikhou Kouyate." Balkan told the Daily Star.
"Arsenal are very interested in Kouyate. It's very likely that he'll be joining a Premier League club soon."
Kouyate has been capped 5 times by the Senegal senior squad, while his impressive form during the 2012 Olympics caught the eye of Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger.
The defender was on the verge of heading to the Emirates in the past, but documentary problems hindered the move. Nevertheless, he already has a Belgian passport that could smooth sail his way to England.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports
- Iphone 6 Release Date Fast -Approaching, Reuse and Recycle Program Now in Australia