Moto G Android 4.4 KitKat OTA Update Launching In UK
By Vanessa Francisco | January 9, 2014 11:49 PM EST
Motorola has confirmed that an OTA 9 over-the-air update for its Moto G smartphone is now available in Germany and the UK, bringing the discounted Android phone up to date with the most recent 4.4 KitKat version of Google's mobile operating system.
The Android 4.4 KitKat update will soon roll out across Europe and should appear on German and UK Moto G phones over the next couple of days.
Owners can check if their phone is ready for update by going to Settings > About Phone > System Updates. Those who see a message saying, "Your device is up to date," should not worry because it can really take a while before the update reaches every handset.
Once the update arrives, the user can expect restyled navigation and status bars, new full screen mode, smarter power use which can potentially improve the phone's battery life as your processor doesn't have to work as hard and colored emoji emoticon support. Among the updated apps, the Phone dialer now lets the user look up his contact directly from the dial pad or simply tap "frequent contacts" to search his phonebook.
The Gallery now has new photo editing features, including improved cropping, new filter effects, exposure and contrast, adjustments to color and ability to draw above your photos. Wireless printing support through Wi-FI and Bluetooth is also now built-in on KitKat with Google Cloud Print. Android 4.4.2 KitKat also adds an improved security.
Google's hangouts app is included as a standard now. Hangout supports SMS and MMS messaging, and there is no reason to keep your old messaging app but if you prefer a different app for texts, you can simply set the default app under Settings > Wireless > Default SMS app.
While HTC, Sony, Samsung and other companies seem to be dragging their feet updating their devices to KitKat, Motorola has been racing ahead with its update schedule. With the new KitKat onboard, Moto G looks like an even better bargain. Moto G packs in a lot of value for money with a 5 MP camera, quad core processor and 720p screen.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- How To Play 4K Graphics Quality On 1080p Games With Any Monitor Using NVIDIA Graphics Cards
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS