Manchester United Defender Chris Smalling Apologises for Wearing ‘Suicide Bombing’ Costume
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | January 9, 2014 9:53 PM EST
Manchester United and England defender Chris Smalling has issued an apology for his "insensitive" decision to sport a 'suicide bombing' vest for a fancy dress party.
The 24-year-old apparently wanted to come up with a pun on the popular 'Jagerbomb' drink, by strapping bottles of Jagermeister and Red Bull to his body - and literally being a "Jagerbomber".
A photograph of Smalling wearing, what appeared to be, an army-style vest with alcohol bottles and a mock circuit board, combined with an Arab Keffiyeh headgear, circulated on the internet. It was a bad choice for a fancy dress and quickly went viral, inviting staunch criticism over its offensive nature.
The story was carried by The Sun on Thursday with the photograph under the headline "Appalling Smalling".
"Shame of Manchester Utd 'bomb' ace," it said, "England star Chris Smalling was last night branded a "disgrace" for dressing as a SUICIDE BOMBER".
His management firm was quick to issue an apology.
"Chris and his girlfriend hosted a fancy dress party to celebrate Christmas and their belated birthdays with close friends in the assumed privacy of his own home," Wasserman Media Group told the Associated Press.
"He dressed in a costume consisting of empty bottles of Jagermeister and cans of Red Bull strapped to his chest in an attempted comedy play on the popular 'Jagerbomb' drink.
"Although he fully accepts in hindsight it was an ill-thought out and insensitive decision, absolutely no harm was intended whatsoever and he apologizes for any offence caused."
However, the photograph continues to prompt several angry reactions. Graham Foulkes, whose son David died in the London 7/7 suicide bombings, told The Sun that the costume was "one of the most offensive things I have seen".
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate