‘Sherlock’ Season 4 and 5 Plotted, ‘Doctor Who’ Matt Smith Might Join the Cast
By Arijita Bhowmik | January 9, 2014 9:22 PM EST
"Sherlock" creator Steven Moffat has revealed that the upcoming seasons of the series have already been planned and also hinted at the casting of Matt Smith of "Doctor Who" fame.
BBC One Capture Image
Sherlock outside his Baker Street address
While "Sherlock" Season 3 is on the verge of conclusion with the final episode "His Last Vow" to be aired on Sunday, Moffat delighted fans with the revelation that two season's of the meticulous detective's adventures have already been planned.
"Rather excitingly, Mark (Gratiss) and I, for no particular reason, we just got out of the rain and sat at the top of the [Sherlock] production bus... and we just started plotting out what we could do in the future...And we plotted out the whole of series four and five," said Moffat, while speaking at the BAFTA screening of the final episode on Wednesday.
Divulging a wee bit on the upcoming "Sherlock" series, the writer teased: "So we have got plans - but our plans don't tend to be 'Let's blow up the world or cast the most famous person in the world' they tend to be. 'What exciting twists and turns can we add to this?' And I think we've got some crackers!"
"The ideas we had that day, I thought were the best we've ever had," he added.
With Moffat and previously Mark Gratiss, confirming the upcoming series of the sleuth and his sidekick, fans are already on tenterhooks for the final episode "His Last Vow," where Sherlock will face his nemesis Charles August Magnussen.
Meanwhile, there is a possibility that the super detective series could see a crossover casting. Moffat in an interview with Zap2it.com expressed his desire to work with the former "Doctor Who" star Matt Smith.
"I love working with Matt. He's a phenomenal actor. I'd jump at the chance to work with him again. I don't know how likely that is to be on the set of Sherlock."
"If there was a perfect part for him, there's no rule against it. We wouldn't want it to be stunt casting, because stunt casting doesn't work, so it would have to be just because he was overwhelmingly right for it," Moffat added.
Interestingly, Smith had initially auditioned for the detective's aide John Watson's part, which ultimately went to Martin Freeman.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying