Samsung Galaxy S 3 Reportedly Receiving New Android 4.3 Update
By Vanessa Francisco | January 9, 2014 8:12 PM EST
Samsung is now rolling out the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update for its 2012 flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S3 in India. Sammobile reported the Galaxy S3 update (build I9300XWUGML4) is available OTA (over-the-air) and through Samsung's Kies software. It claimed the Android 4.3 update for Galaxy S3 is around 408 MB.
Sammobile has revealed the update changelog, which includes the Galaxy Gear support and core UI elements updated, which is now similar to the Samsung Galaxy S4, updated GPU drivers, new Samsung keyboard, new lock screen with improved ripple effect and multiple widgets, Daydream, new actionable notifications, Driving mode, new screen modes similar to the Galaxy S4, revamped settings UI, additions in notification center, new camera mode with shoot and sound and new move to SD card.
The recent Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update for Galaxy S3 also introduced new Samsung apps like contacts, calculator, music apps and gallery, revamped S Voice similar to the Galaxy S4 and full screen support for Samsung apps. It is also notable that the Android 4.3 update for Galaxy S3 brings Galaxy Gear support, the company's first wearable device, making the Galaxy S3 the fourth device to have the functionality after the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition, Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Samsung Galaxy S4.
Samsung finally resumed its Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update for the Galaxy S3 after suspending it earlier after complaints from owners who installed the update. Some owners complained about issues such as erratic Wi-Fi connectivity, unresponsive phone, particularly the lock screen, system hanging issue that required the batt to be pulled out to restart the phone, poor batt backup - all after updating their Galaxy S3 to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
Samsung began rolling out the Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update in November of 2013. The update that brings Galaxy S4 camera features and Galaxy Gear support landed for U.S. carriers, finishing up in the month of December. The Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 update is now winding down as some Galaxy S3 variants still haven't received the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update.
There still are several Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 updates to come. French carrier SFR and Australian carrier Telstra have both yet to confirm an Android 4.3 update for Galaxy S3. Rumours suggested the Samsung Galaxy S3 will receive Android 4.4 KitKat instead in April.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Sims 4' First Expansion Pack To Roll Out Tomorrow With Halloween Theme Via Teaser Images
- The Pirate Bay Contains Malicious Advertisements: Using TPB Can Infect Your Computer With Malware
- Windows Insider Program: How to Get Windows 10 the Next Generation Operating System
- ‘Destiny’ New DLC For PlayStation And Xbox: Future Missions, Strikes And Raids Revealed
- Xbox One News: Windows 10 Hinted For Xbox One; Deals With Gold And Xbox One Counterfeits Detailed
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money