Samsung Galaxy S 3 Reportedly Receiving New Android 4.3 Update
By Vanessa Francisco | January 9, 2014 8:12 PM EST
Samsung is now rolling out the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update for its 2012 flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S3 in India. Sammobile reported the Galaxy S3 update (build I9300XWUGML4) is available OTA (over-the-air) and through Samsung's Kies software. It claimed the Android 4.3 update for Galaxy S3 is around 408 MB.
Sammobile has revealed the update changelog, which includes the Galaxy Gear support and core UI elements updated, which is now similar to the Samsung Galaxy S4, updated GPU drivers, new Samsung keyboard, new lock screen with improved ripple effect and multiple widgets, Daydream, new actionable notifications, Driving mode, new screen modes similar to the Galaxy S4, revamped settings UI, additions in notification center, new camera mode with shoot and sound and new move to SD card.
The recent Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update for Galaxy S3 also introduced new Samsung apps like contacts, calculator, music apps and gallery, revamped S Voice similar to the Galaxy S4 and full screen support for Samsung apps. It is also notable that the Android 4.3 update for Galaxy S3 brings Galaxy Gear support, the company's first wearable device, making the Galaxy S3 the fourth device to have the functionality after the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition, Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Samsung Galaxy S4.
Samsung finally resumed its Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update for the Galaxy S3 after suspending it earlier after complaints from owners who installed the update. Some owners complained about issues such as erratic Wi-Fi connectivity, unresponsive phone, particularly the lock screen, system hanging issue that required the batt to be pulled out to restart the phone, poor batt backup - all after updating their Galaxy S3 to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
Samsung began rolling out the Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update in November of 2013. The update that brings Galaxy S4 camera features and Galaxy Gear support landed for U.S. carriers, finishing up in the month of December. The Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 update is now winding down as some Galaxy S3 variants still haven't received the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update.
There still are several Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 updates to come. French carrier SFR and Australian carrier Telstra have both yet to confirm an Android 4.3 update for Galaxy S3. Rumours suggested the Samsung Galaxy S3 will receive Android 4.4 KitKat instead in April.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘Halo: Master Chief’ Collection Update Detailed As ‘Halo: Nightfall’ Continues To Roll
- ‘Destiny’ Dev Details Update; New Exotic Weapons Coming And New Speculations On Free Trial
- AT&T Nexus 6 Returned To Motorola Due To Software Bug: Black Screen And Failure To Connect To Service
- Official Android 5.0 Lollipop Update For HTC One Google Play Editions Delayed Due To New Software Request
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Guide: Continuous Breeding, Must See Places And TwitchPlays Pokemon Activity
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports