Samsung Galaxy S 3 Reportedly Receiving New Android 4.3 Update
By Vanessa Francisco | January 9, 2014 8:12 PM EST
Samsung is now rolling out the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update for its 2012 flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S3 in India. Sammobile reported the Galaxy S3 update (build I9300XWUGML4) is available OTA (over-the-air) and through Samsung's Kies software. It claimed the Android 4.3 update for Galaxy S3 is around 408 MB.
Sammobile has revealed the update changelog, which includes the Galaxy Gear support and core UI elements updated, which is now similar to the Samsung Galaxy S4, updated GPU drivers, new Samsung keyboard, new lock screen with improved ripple effect and multiple widgets, Daydream, new actionable notifications, Driving mode, new screen modes similar to the Galaxy S4, revamped settings UI, additions in notification center, new camera mode with shoot and sound and new move to SD card.
The recent Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update for Galaxy S3 also introduced new Samsung apps like contacts, calculator, music apps and gallery, revamped S Voice similar to the Galaxy S4 and full screen support for Samsung apps. It is also notable that the Android 4.3 update for Galaxy S3 brings Galaxy Gear support, the company's first wearable device, making the Galaxy S3 the fourth device to have the functionality after the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition, Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Samsung Galaxy S4.
Samsung finally resumed its Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update for the Galaxy S3 after suspending it earlier after complaints from owners who installed the update. Some owners complained about issues such as erratic Wi-Fi connectivity, unresponsive phone, particularly the lock screen, system hanging issue that required the batt to be pulled out to restart the phone, poor batt backup - all after updating their Galaxy S3 to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
Samsung began rolling out the Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update in November of 2013. The update that brings Galaxy S4 camera features and Galaxy Gear support landed for U.S. carriers, finishing up in the month of December. The Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 update is now winding down as some Galaxy S3 variants still haven't received the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update.
There still are several Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 updates to come. French carrier SFR and Australian carrier Telstra have both yet to confirm an Android 4.3 update for Galaxy S3. Rumours suggested the Samsung Galaxy S3 will receive Android 4.4 KitKat instead in April.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates And A ‘Doctor Who’ DLC Coming
- ‘Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney' For Nintendo 3DS Released On Aug. 29, 2014 In North America [WATCH VIDEO]
- SIMS 4 Missing Contents To Be Added Via DLC and New Details Unveiled From Livestream
- 5 Free Apps For Smartphones That Can Help Make You Look Beautiful
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition' Dragon Age Keep Save Import and Multiplayer Mode Explained
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide