RIL Starts Gas Production from New Well in KG Basin
January 9, 2014 7:40 PM EST
Reliance Industries, which operates the Krishna-Godavari basin's D6 block off the east coast, has started producing gas from the MA-8 well on January 1, its spokesman said on Thursday.
A February 2003 photo of the Reliance Industries Limited petrochemical plant at Jamnagar.
The well has potential to produce 1 million to 2 million standard cubic metres per day (mscmd) of gas from the well and the output is expected to stabilise by the middle of the month, the Reliance official said.
Reliance is currently producing about 10 mscmd gas from the KG D6 block, sharply lower from the 60 mscmd production at the end of 2010. Reliance and partner BP(BP.L) have cited geological complexities for the fall in output but the oil regulator believes they have failed to drill enough wells.
Falling output had already prompted the government to disallow proportionate cost recovery to Reliance, leading to arbitration proceedings over the issue.
Last month, India allowed Reliance to charge higher prices for gas from April only after the company offered financial guarantees to the government to settle any claims against it over a shortfall in its gas output.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Australian Dollar Outlook - 19 September 2014
- Economy Travel Not So Anymore with Air Canada, Starts Charging C$25 Checked Bag Fee
- Australian Dollar Outlook - 18 September 2014
- U.S. Congress Approves Arming, Training Syrian Rebels Against ISIS
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional