A Cricket Fan Becomes $100,000 Richer after a One-Handed Catch during the New Zealand Black Caps - West Indies Match
By Rachelle Corpuz | January 9, 2014 6:01 PM EST
A cricket fan became $100,000 richer after claiming the catch from Kieran Powell's bat at the one-day cricket international between New Zealand and West Indies on Wednesday. The lucky fan was identified as Michael Morton.
"I was just sitting next to my dad and he yelled out," said Morton. "I just jumped and stuck the hand out, somehow it stuck," Morton added.
Watch Morton's amazing one-handed catch in the video below.
Video courtesy: YouTube/ Paul Mcleen
The one-day international cricket event was sponsored by Tui Beer, New Zealand Black Caps' official beer. To become qualified for the promotional campaign billed as "Tui - Catch a Million," people have to buy a Tui cricket shirt for $30. Then they have to catch off a six using only one hand while wearing the Tui shirt and the match's lanyard. Morton certainly got a lot more that what he had paid for.
"Some people said it couldn't be done, they thought it would end up as just another 'Yeah Right,' but yesterday, Michael Morton put that all to rest as he bent over backwards and with one hand plucked a 6 right out of the sky, oh and then walked away with $100,000," wrote Tui Beer on its official Web site.
The Black Caps also didn't forget to congratulate Morton for his winnings. "This is a $100,000 hand," the Black Caps wrote on Twitter. "It can be done, congrats Michael Morton @tuibeer just made you rich," the Black Caps added.
Some people regarded Morton as a very lucky guy. Well, it's probably luck and some flairs combined. It was certainly a great catch.
Morton says he will spend the prize money to pay off his student loan and his car. He also have plans of going on a tour someplace when he gets some time off.
The grand prize remained safe through the three previous matches of the series until Morton showed everyone how it was really done. Congratulations!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Dallas Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones Badly Wants Mayweather vs. Pacquiao At Cowboys Stadium
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]