A Cricket Fan Becomes $100,000 Richer after a One-Handed Catch during the New Zealand Black Caps - West Indies Match
By Rachelle Corpuz | January 9, 2014 6:01 PM EST
A cricket fan became $100,000 richer after claiming the catch from Kieran Powell's bat at the one-day cricket international between New Zealand and West Indies on Wednesday. The lucky fan was identified as Michael Morton.
"I was just sitting next to my dad and he yelled out," said Morton. "I just jumped and stuck the hand out, somehow it stuck," Morton added.
Watch Morton's amazing one-handed catch in the video below.
Video courtesy: YouTube/ Paul Mcleen
The one-day international cricket event was sponsored by Tui Beer, New Zealand Black Caps' official beer. To become qualified for the promotional campaign billed as "Tui - Catch a Million," people have to buy a Tui cricket shirt for $30. Then they have to catch off a six using only one hand while wearing the Tui shirt and the match's lanyard. Morton certainly got a lot more that what he had paid for.
"Some people said it couldn't be done, they thought it would end up as just another 'Yeah Right,' but yesterday, Michael Morton put that all to rest as he bent over backwards and with one hand plucked a 6 right out of the sky, oh and then walked away with $100,000," wrote Tui Beer on its official Web site.
The Black Caps also didn't forget to congratulate Morton for his winnings. "This is a $100,000 hand," the Black Caps wrote on Twitter. "It can be done, congrats Michael Morton @tuibeer just made you rich," the Black Caps added.
Some people regarded Morton as a very lucky guy. Well, it's probably luck and some flairs combined. It was certainly a great catch.
Morton says he will spend the prize money to pay off his student loan and his car. He also have plans of going on a tour someplace when he gets some time off.
The grand prize remained safe through the three previous matches of the series until Morton showed everyone how it was really done. Congratulations!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People