Another Downgrade for Flying Roo as Moody’s Cuts Qantas Rating to Junk
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 9, 2014 5:25 PM EST
The fresh Qantas-Emirates code-sharing deal could spell the end of the national carrier’s international career, analysts said, in return for strong semblance of profitability on the domestic front.
YouTube/World News Planet
It was the second downgrade after Standard & Poor's also lowered to junk status in December Qantas's ratings after the financially troubled airline announced that it would axe 1,000 workers and warned of $300 million loss for the first half.
Besides losing money in its international business, Qantas also suffered a sharp decline in its core domestic business brought about by aggressive competition from rival Virgin Australia.
Ian Lewis, senior vice president of Moody's, explained, "These actions, which include capacity additions, have shifted the market dynamic against Qantas in a structural way."
He added, "As such, we expect that Qantas business risk and financial leverage will remain at elevated levels and inconsistent with an investment grade rating."
The Ba2 below investment grade rating by Moody's on Qantas from Baa3 with negative outlook is an indicator that the agency placed doubt on the ability of the Aussie air carrier to repay its debt. A junk rating could scare potential stock holders from buying shares of a listed company.
Mr Lewis pointed out that Virgin has caused negative structural changes for Qantas and its domestic business would remain challenged by the upstart airline's actions.
Qantas could get back its stable rating if the profitability of its international and domestic operations would improve at levels considered safe to sustain appropriate levels of debt.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 24, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 24, 2014
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales