2014 Lok Sabha Elections: Narendra Modi Mocks PM Manmohan Singh in NRIs' Meet
By Karuna Chandwani | January 9, 2014 5:08 PM EST
Known for his one-liners, prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi mocked PM Manmohan Singh while talking to NRIs at 'Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas' meet in New Delhi on Thursday.
Narendra Modi addressing annual NRIs' meet in New Delhi on 9 January 2014
"Yesterday, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said a good thing that we should not lose heart, good days are coming soon. I don't have to say it again (smiles). But I think, we might have to wait 4-6 months but better days are coming," Modi said referring to PM's address on economic growth on Wednesday.
The audience at the annual NRIs' meet, including prominent Indians and policy makers settled across the world, responded with laughter at Modi's reference to the general elections.
Speaking the phrase 'United India, Grand India', Modi also cited the contributions of Mahatma Gandhi and Sardar Patel in India's independence.
"If it Had not been for Sardar Patel's foresight, maybe we would need a Pakistani visa to see Gir lions," Modi remarked.
"Mahatma Gandhi's views and teachings need to celebrated this year on the 150th birth anniversary. This is a great occasion for us," he added.
The Gujarat Chief Minister also mentioned the upcoming 75th year of India's independence in 2022, and pitched it as an important milestone for a free country.
"We will also celebrate our 75th Independence day in 2022, which is a milestone in any country. What kind of country should be given to Indians is the important question now. What can be greater for a locally inspiring, inclusive, resilient India. Basic amenities to all; from village to cities; from rich to poor."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Amner Hall Residence
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Spying Claims Muddle New Zealand Election as Dotcom Calls Key Gov't An 'American Slave'
- Germany to Send Soldiers to Iraq, Bans Displays of Support for ISIS
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date