England Cricketers Matt Prior and Stuart Broad Save Man From Jumping Off Sydney Bridge
By Deepak Vikraman | January 9, 2014 4:42 PM EST
England players Matt Prior and Stuart Broad might be feeling the pinch after a miserable Ashes campaign, but they were heroes on Wednesday when they rescued a 24-year-old man from jumping off a bridge near their hotel in Sydney.
According to the Daily Telegraph, Prior helped coax the man from jumping off the bridge, pulling him away from the 19-metre high Pyrmount Bridge in Darling Harbour. Police later revealed a 24-year-old man was taken to St. Vincent's Hospital for treatment.
"We just did what anybody would do in that situation," Prior said.
"We were trying to help a bloke who was struggling and in a bad way. I look back and I'm just glad we left the bar when we did and we were there for him."
According to the report, Broad and Prior, returning from a Barmy Army event, saw the man standing on the bridge seemingly about to take a leap, and initially thought the man was on the top of the bridge on a dare, but soon realised the situation was much more serious.
The man, who reportedly had an English accent, had thrown his passport, wallet and phone off the bridge and was preparing himself to jump before the players intervened and talked him out of taking the leap.
England's security office Terry Minish was also at the scene and helped in preventing a catastrophic incident.
"Walking back to the hotel we spotted a young man on the edge of the bridge about to jump," Minish said. "He was saying he just wanted to drown. Matt helped to pull him down off the edge of the bridge and sat with him until the police arrived.
"It all happened very quickly and we acted on impulse. It is what you do in these situations."
Australia coach Darren Lehmann was all praise for the English duo. "I thank them. It's a fantastic thing to do," Lehmann said. "To save someone's life is pretty special, so from an Australian point of view I thank them for saving another Australian by what they've done there."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories