Why Upgrade From PS3 To PS4 With PlayStation Now Coming?
By Sachin Trivedi | January 9, 2014 3:57 PM EST
The cloud may be a future of gaming and users may be spared from the trouble of having to purchase expensive hardware to upgrade them in a few years. Sony recently launched the new PlayStation Now service allowing users to play PS3 and PS4 games on TV.
Visitors take pictures of Sony Corp's PlayStation 4 new game console at the Tokyo Game Show in Chiba, east of Tokyo, in this September 19, 2013 file photo. China's State Council has temporarily lifted a ban on the sale of foreign games consoles, paving the way for firms like Sony Corp, Microsoft Corp and Nintendo Co Ltd to enter a multi-billion dollar video game market. REUTERS/Yuya Shino/Files
Games of the original PlayStation, PS2, PS3 and the latest PS4 can be streamed to several different devices like Sony Bravia TV, tablets, consoles and PlayStation Vita. The announcement was made in the ongoing CES 2014 event held in Las Vegas.
The cloud gaming technology runs the game on a remote server and streams the game to the user's device. What the users need to play the game is a stable Internet connection with little latency to ensure no lag during gameplay.
The game can be played across platforms like PS3, PS4 and most of 2014 Sony Bravia TVs. A user can save a game on a PlayStation device. Since the game is saved in the cloud, it can be continued in any other device like a TV.
The new service was made possible by Gaikai, a cloud gaming technology, which Sony purchased in 2012. The technology was not expected by analysts to make its debut so soon, but the closed beta of the service will be launched in U.S by end of January 2014. The service is expected to be available later in the year.
The PlayStation Now service could be a game changer in the gaming industry if users prefer to play the games on their smartphones, tablets and TVs. This could have an impact on the sales of gaming consoles like PS4.
Will users need to purchase a PlayStation in the future? The online streaming of games comes with a variety of options for users. Users will be able to rent games and play games for a subscription without the hassle of going to a retail store to buy the game.
There are two issues that avid gamers are concerned about. First is the lag that they may experience even with a good Internet connection as the game is running on the Cloud. Secondl is the price of the PlayStation Now service.
One of the main concerns of many players today is the availability of games for cross platform multiplayer online play. PlayStation Now could make it simpler and easier prompting more gamers to get online.
If Sony can successfully address the concerns of gamers then 2014 could turn out to be very exciting. Availability of PS2, PS3 and PS4 titles from a cloud server could be a huge boost for users who are reluctant to part with their previous generation consoles due to lack of adequate content available in the new consoles.
More Articles to Read
Google Nexus 10 vs. Lenovo Yoga Tablet Specs and Price Comparison in Australia [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories