Copa Del Rey Results: Lionel Messi Scores Brace on Return as Barcelona Cruise
By Deepak Vikraman | January 9, 2014 3:54 PM EST
Lionel Messi did what he does best - score goals - on his return from a two-month injury layoff, helping Barcelona to a comfortable 4-0 win over Getafe in the first leg of the Copa Del Rey round of 16 encounter at the Camp Nou.
Cesc Fabregas had put Barca in a comfortable position with a brace, but Messi took all the plaudits with a double of his own after coming on as a second half substitute.
"His career is like a movie script," Barcelona manager Gerardo Martino said. "In three minutes he scored two goals."
Barca started on the front foot right from the off and it came as no surprise when the home side went into the lead on 9 minutes - Fabregas heading in a cross from Pedro Rodriguez.
There were no further goals in the first half, but Fabregas put the tie to bed on 63 minutes, slotting home from the penalty spot after Valera brought down Pedro inside the box.
A minute later, the crowd were roused to their feet when Messi was brought on in the place of Andres Iniesta. The little Argentine did not disappoint, looking his usual busy self in the 30 minutes on the pitch, with his scoring prowess yet again shining through.
Messi's first goal came in the 89th minute when he latched onto a loose ball, after Martin Montoya ran into a cul de sac inside the penalty area, before slotting into the bottom corner.
Not happy with just a single goal on his return, Messi added another in the third minute of stoppage time with a patented cannot-stop-me drive from the right before chipping the ball into the back of the net.
"It's clear that he hasn't forgotten how to play football," Barcelona skipper Carles Puyol told Antenna 3.
"He has been training very well and as you could see those are the kind of goals the best players can produce," the Spain defender added.
"There is a very long way to go in the league but it's a very important game [on Saturday] against what I think is one of the best teams in the world.
"Let's see what we can do and the important thing now is to recover well from tonight's efforts."
Messi's return and that too with a bang is an ominous sign for Atletico Madrid, who drew 1-1 with Valencia in their Copa Del Rey first leg, with the two top sides in La Liga clashing in a high-profile match on Saturday.
Results (round of 16 first leg): Racing Santander 1-1 Almeria; Alcorcon 1-0 Espanyol; Real Betis 1-0 Athletic Bilbao; Barcelona 4-0 Getafe. Tuesday: Valencia 1-1 Atletico Madrid.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]