Family First: Australian Rugby Captain Ben Mowen Retires from NT Duties
By James Patrick Quizon | January 9, 2014 1:14 PM EST
The official announcement was set Thursday, but he already told the decision to coaches and officials as early as Monday. Mowen’s reason is very simple too: he wants to spend more time with his family; his wife, Lauren, and daughter, Eleanor.
"It's the hardest decision of my career and I flipped 100 different ways trying to figure out which way I was going to go," the 29-year-old national skipper told Fairfax Media, deciding to go public with his decision now to give the management and coaches more time to plan for the future.
"But being away for so long, it was a bridge too far. It's time to put my family first, that's the most important thing.
The NT captain was away from his family for more than half of 2013 because of the busy schedule of the Wallabies, which included matches at the Super Rugby, British and Lions series and the six-week tour of Europe.
It was a short and but remarkable Test career for Mowen.
He was the team captain for six Tests for Australia, winning the first of five Tests. Five matches were in the Grand Slam Tour of Europe.
“It’s a hard decision. It took months, but I’m comfortable where I’ve come to and I’m proud of the contribution I’ve made,” added Mowen in the same interview.
While he will be quitting the NT duties, Mowen is expected to continue playing rugby and is reportedly negotiating a contract with a French club.
In related news, Quade Cooper, David Pocock and James Horwill are among the names being considered to take over Mowen’s spot.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon