Australia’s Live Cattle Export to Indonesia to Go Up by Over 70% in 2014
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 9, 2014 10:00 AM EST
The Australian live cattle export industry to Indonesia is expected to receive a boost in 2014, resulting in over 70 per cent increase of volume. It would reverse the large cuts made Jakarta the past few years in retaliation for the expose of mistreatment of the animal before slaughter and to reduce heavy reliance on imported Australian meat.
Cattle graze in front of British Nuclear Electric's Wylfa Magnox plant in Anglesey, Wales, September..
YouTube/Al Jazeera English
There is no official announcement yet from the Indonesian government - which has been at odds with Canberra the past few months over another matter, the spying allegations - but Indonesian media reported that beginning Jan 1, the quota system for beef and live cattle imports was abolished and replaced with a reference price system.
With an estimated 2013 export figure of 395,000 cattle head to Indonesia, the projected 77 per cent hike in 2014 export would boost the numbers to almost 700,000 cattle head.
The almost doubling led Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce to say that "It's of great assistance to our producers because it put a floor in the market and it's a great assistance to the people of Jakarta and the large cities in Indonesia because they get a ceiling in their food price," quoted ABC.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS