Australia’s Live Cattle Export to Indonesia to Go Up by Over 70% in 2014
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 9, 2014 10:00 AM EST
The Australian live cattle export industry to Indonesia is expected to receive a boost in 2014, resulting in over 70 per cent increase of volume. It would reverse the large cuts made Jakarta the past few years in retaliation for the expose of mistreatment of the animal before slaughter and to reduce heavy reliance on imported Australian meat.
Cattle graze in front of British Nuclear Electric's Wylfa Magnox plant in Anglesey, Wales, September..
YouTube/Al Jazeera English
There is no official announcement yet from the Indonesian government - which has been at odds with Canberra the past few months over another matter, the spying allegations - but Indonesian media reported that beginning Jan 1, the quota system for beef and live cattle imports was abolished and replaced with a reference price system.
With an estimated 2013 export figure of 395,000 cattle head to Indonesia, the projected 77 per cent hike in 2014 export would boost the numbers to almost 700,000 cattle head.
The almost doubling led Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce to say that "It's of great assistance to our producers because it put a floor in the market and it's a great assistance to the people of Jakarta and the large cities in Indonesia because they get a ceiling in their food price," quoted ABC.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report