Australia’s Live Cattle Export to Indonesia to Go Up by Over 70% in 2014
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 9, 2014 10:00 AM EST
The Australian live cattle export industry to Indonesia is expected to receive a boost in 2014, resulting in over 70 per cent increase of volume. It would reverse the large cuts made Jakarta the past few years in retaliation for the expose of mistreatment of the animal before slaughter and to reduce heavy reliance on imported Australian meat.
Cattle graze in front of British Nuclear Electric's Wylfa Magnox plant in Anglesey, Wales, September..
YouTube/Al Jazeera English
There is no official announcement yet from the Indonesian government - which has been at odds with Canberra the past few months over another matter, the spying allegations - but Indonesian media reported that beginning Jan 1, the quota system for beef and live cattle imports was abolished and replaced with a reference price system.
With an estimated 2013 export figure of 395,000 cattle head to Indonesia, the projected 77 per cent hike in 2014 export would boost the numbers to almost 700,000 cattle head.
The almost doubling led Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce to say that "It's of great assistance to our producers because it put a floor in the market and it's a great assistance to the people of Jakarta and the large cities in Indonesia because they get a ceiling in their food price," quoted ABC.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Unidentified Benefactor Offers $30M Reward For Identity Of MH 17 Bombers; MAS Criticises Kiwi Author For Suggesting MH 370 Pilot Plotted Death Of Passengers & Crew
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 18, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 19, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 18, 2014
- Financial Intelligence Agency Suspends Sydney Remittance Firm Over Suspicions It Is Used To Finance Terrorism In Middle East
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best