Australia’s Live Cattle Export to Indonesia to Go Up by Over 70% in 2014
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 9, 2014 10:00 AM EST
The Australian live cattle export industry to Indonesia is expected to receive a boost in 2014, resulting in over 70 per cent increase of volume. It would reverse the large cuts made Jakarta the past few years in retaliation for the expose of mistreatment of the animal before slaughter and to reduce heavy reliance on imported Australian meat.
Cattle graze in front of British Nuclear Electric's Wylfa Magnox plant in Anglesey, Wales, September..
YouTube/Al Jazeera English
There is no official announcement yet from the Indonesian government - which has been at odds with Canberra the past few months over another matter, the spying allegations - but Indonesian media reported that beginning Jan 1, the quota system for beef and live cattle imports was abolished and replaced with a reference price system.
With an estimated 2013 export figure of 395,000 cattle head to Indonesia, the projected 77 per cent hike in 2014 export would boost the numbers to almost 700,000 cattle head.
The almost doubling led Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce to say that "It's of great assistance to our producers because it put a floor in the market and it's a great assistance to the people of Jakarta and the large cities in Indonesia because they get a ceiling in their food price," quoted ABC.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen