Sharon Stone On Infamous ‘Basic Instinct’ Interrogation Scene: I Slapped The Director [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | January 9, 2014 3:57 AM EST
Sharon Stone slapped the director of “Basic Instinct” when she saw her infamous legs-crossing scene in the 1992 film for the first time. The 55-year-old Golden Globe Award-winning actress was so stunned to learn that her nude crotch was visible in the infamous shot that she couldn’t contain her anger at director Paul Verhoeven.
If there’s only one scene that “Basic Instinct” can be remembered for, it’s the one where Sharon’s character, Catherine Tramell, re-crossed her legs while sitting in an interrogation room, thereby revealing her underwear-less crotch in front of the detectives.
More than two decades after the blockbuster erotic thriller was first played in theatres, its controversial interrogation scene is still one of the most talked about shots in a film.
So when Sharon guest starred in the U.S. talk show “The Talk” on Monday, it was still the scene that she was asked about.
“When we did it, obviously it was going to be an ‘innuendo,’ and the director said, ‘we can see the white of your underwear, I need you to take them off,’” she told hosts Sharon Osbourne, Sheryl Underwood, Sara Gilbert, Aisha Tyler, and Julie Chen.
The actress was reluctant to take off her underwear at first, but she did so anyway after he assured her that her crotch wouldn’t be seen in the shot.
After shooting the scene, she watched it on the monitor. However, since high-definition video technology still wasn’t available at that time, Sharon couldn’t see if she was showing off more than she had liked.
She found out that she had indeed exposed her crotch when she watched the film along with a bunch of other people in the theatre. She was not only shocked, she was also furious.
“When the film ended, I went into the booth and slapped him,” Sharon recalled. “I was like, ‘You could have shown me this by myself.’”
But while she was livid, she also understood that importance of the scene, admitting that she still would have kept it in the film if it were up to her.
“Honestly, it’s so right for the movie and it’s so right for the character, and if I have gotten that even by accident, I would have had the courtesy of showing it to my actor. But I would have kept it in the movie.”
Sharon talks about the interrogation scene:
“Basic Instinct” trailer”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson And FKA Twigs Romance: Singer’s Twitter Post Sparks Pregnancy Reports Speculating The Couple Is Expecting Their First Baby
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone