Letter From Girl, 7, Prompts CSIRO To Apologise To Australia For Failing To Create Dragons
By Anne Lu | January 9, 2014 2:19 AM EST
Australia’s science agency is apologising to the nation for failing to invent dragons. The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) has promised to accelerate their dragon R&D program after a seven-year-old girl asked the scientists if they could make a dragon for her.
A family walks past a dragon and a horse lantern installations during a lantern carnival in Hefei, Anhui province, December 18, 2013. According to local media, the three-month-long event which displays more than 100 lantern installations started on December 18, ahead of 2014, which is the Year of the Horse in the Chinese zodiac. Picture taken December 18, 2013.
It all started with a fanmail from a girl named Sophie. The 7-year-old said that she would like it if the “lovely scientist” could make a dragon for her. She would call it Toothless if it’s a girl, and Stuart if it’s a boy.
Toothless is perhaps from the lead dragon in the 2010 animated DreamWorks film “How to Train Your Dragon.”
Sophie’s letter reads:
“Hello Lovely Scientist
My name is Sophie and I am 7 years old. My dad told me about the scientists at the CSIRO. Would it be possible if you can make a dragon for me. I would like it if you could but if you can’t thats fine.
I would call it toothless if it was a girl and if it is a boy I would name it Stuart.
I would keep it in my special green grass area where there are lots of space. I would feed it raw fish and I would put a collar on it. If it got hurt I would bandage it if it hurt himself. I would play with it every weekend if there is no school.
Love from Sophie”
The letter sender was Sophie Lester from Queensland, whose mother Melissah Lester said that they were hoping CSIRO would reply to their daughter to tell her it’s impossible to create a dragon.
But what’s a science agency to do when given such a sweet request from a child? Why admit its failure to deliver the mythical creature and promise to do better in the future, of course!
“We’ve been doing science since 1926 and we’re quite proud of what we have achieved. We’ve put polymer banknotes in your wallet, insect repellent on your limbs and Wi-Fi in your devices. But we’ve missed something,” the post on CSIRO’s Web site reads.
“There are no dragons,” it was ashamed to admit.
“Over the past 87 odd years we have not been able to create a dragon or dragon eggs. We have sighted an eastern bearded dragon at one of our telescopes, observed dragonflies and even measured body temperatures of the mallee dragon. But our work has never ventured into dragons of the mystical, fire breathing variety.
“And for this Australia, we are sorry.”
The post went on to enumerate the possible benefits of creating a dragon, even mentioning the fire in “The Hobbit” dragon Smaug’s belly.
“Thanks for the fuel for thought, Sophie. We’re looking into it. In the meantime, you can always admire the brood of Daenerys Targaryen,” CSIRO concluded its letter, referring to the “Mother of Dragons” in the George R.R. Martin fantasy novel “A Song of Ice and Fire” and its television adaptation “Game of Thrones.”
Mrs Lester told the Sydney Morning Herald, “All her [Sophie’s] friends are now saying that they want to be a scientist and Sophie says she now wants to work in the CSIRO. She’s saying Australian scientists can do anything.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Alien Mystery: The Most Famous Unexplained Alien Abduction Cases (Watch Video)
- University of Waterloo U Study Recommends Best Sex Positions To Ease Back Pain During Lovemaking
- Aurora Borealis Paints A Beautiful Picture On The Northern Skies [Watch Video]
- West Seattle Man Accuses Stranger Obese Woman Of Rape While He Was Asleep
- Lady Gaga Wants David Bowie To Perform With Her In Space
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date