Sony Launches PlayStation Now; PS4 Sold Over 4.2 Million Units in 2013
By Aditya Bhat | January 9, 2014 1:27 AM EST
Sony has introduced a new cloud-steaming service - PlayStation Now - that can stream classic titles from older PlayStation platforms.
PlayStation 4 has sold over 4.2 million units since launch.
PlayStation Now will allow players to stream different titles from PlayStation, Playstation 2 and PlayStation 3 to PlayStation 4, mobile devices, PlayStation Vita and Sony Bravia TVs, via cloud.
Sony showcased the service at the ongoing CES 2014 event by streaming "The Last of Us" and "Beyond: Two Souls" to the Vita and Bravia TVs. It, however, did not announce the names of the titles that will be available in the service. Also, the company did not provide any details regarding its pricing but added that customers can avail the service by renting titles, either on individual basis or as a bigger package.
Sony did not speak on how it would tackle input lag and video quality issues that come with steaming technology.
PlayStation Now customers will be getting support for multiplayer and Trophies, added Sony. "PS Now will allow users to engage in the world of PlayStation, whether they're existing fans or have never owned a PlayStation platform," said Andrew House, president and group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment, GameSpot reported.
Meanwhile, Mr House announced that more than 4.2 million units of PlayStation 4 were sold since its launch in November.
Recently, Microsoft had stated that it had sold more than 3 million units of Xbox One.
Sony also announced that it has sold over 9.7 million copies of PlayStation 4 software worldwide. "After a remarkable launch, we look forward to bringing even more exciting content and continuing to explore the power of the PS4 system by adding new features and services, including PlayStation Now, in 2014," Mr House pointed out.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Windows Phone 8.1, Nokia Lumia Cyan Update: All Supported Devices In Various Regions As Of August
- 'No Man's Sky' For PlayStation 4: The Sun Will Burn Out But The Game Will Go On (Watch Trailer)
- Sony Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide For Xperia Z Devices As Of August 2014
- Sony Xperia M2 Aqua Buyer's Guide: Reasons Why Upgrade From Xperia V Or Xperia ZR
- Xbox One VS. PS4 At PAX Prime 2014:18 Games On Sale And A Lineup Of Xbox Games Revealed
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique