Sony Launches PlayStation Now; PS4 Sold Over 4.2 Million Units in 2013
By Aditya Bhat | January 9, 2014 1:27 AM EST
Sony has introduced a new cloud-steaming service - PlayStation Now - that can stream classic titles from older PlayStation platforms.
PlayStation 4 has sold over 4.2 million units since launch.
PlayStation Now will allow players to stream different titles from PlayStation, Playstation 2 and PlayStation 3 to PlayStation 4, mobile devices, PlayStation Vita and Sony Bravia TVs, via cloud.
Sony showcased the service at the ongoing CES 2014 event by streaming "The Last of Us" and "Beyond: Two Souls" to the Vita and Bravia TVs. It, however, did not announce the names of the titles that will be available in the service. Also, the company did not provide any details regarding its pricing but added that customers can avail the service by renting titles, either on individual basis or as a bigger package.
Sony did not speak on how it would tackle input lag and video quality issues that come with steaming technology.
PlayStation Now customers will be getting support for multiplayer and Trophies, added Sony. "PS Now will allow users to engage in the world of PlayStation, whether they're existing fans or have never owned a PlayStation platform," said Andrew House, president and group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment, GameSpot reported.
Meanwhile, Mr House announced that more than 4.2 million units of PlayStation 4 were sold since its launch in November.
Recently, Microsoft had stated that it had sold more than 3 million units of Xbox One.
Sony also announced that it has sold over 9.7 million copies of PlayStation 4 software worldwide. "After a remarkable launch, we look forward to bringing even more exciting content and continuing to explore the power of the PS4 system by adding new features and services, including PlayStation Now, in 2014," Mr House pointed out.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'Dragon Age Keep' Guide: How To Use And Set Up Background Story For 'Dragon Age Inquisition'
- Google Nexus 6 Sold-Out Inventory: Android 5.0, Motorola-Nexus Branding, Network Carriers, Competitive Price
- ‘Destiny': Apocalypse-Themed Sparrows, Pumpkin Head Weapons As Contents For Halloween
- The Xperia Z3: A Review On Sony’s New Flagship
- Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Developer Edition Now Available At $699.99, Without Instalment Plan Options
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery