Sony Launches PlayStation Now; PS4 Sold Over 4.2 Million Units in 2013
By Aditya Bhat | January 9, 2014 1:27 AM EST
Sony has introduced a new cloud-steaming service - PlayStation Now - that can stream classic titles from older PlayStation platforms.
PlayStation 4 has sold over 4.2 million units since launch.
PlayStation Now will allow players to stream different titles from PlayStation, Playstation 2 and PlayStation 3 to PlayStation 4, mobile devices, PlayStation Vita and Sony Bravia TVs, via cloud.
Sony showcased the service at the ongoing CES 2014 event by streaming "The Last of Us" and "Beyond: Two Souls" to the Vita and Bravia TVs. It, however, did not announce the names of the titles that will be available in the service. Also, the company did not provide any details regarding its pricing but added that customers can avail the service by renting titles, either on individual basis or as a bigger package.
Sony did not speak on how it would tackle input lag and video quality issues that come with steaming technology.
PlayStation Now customers will be getting support for multiplayer and Trophies, added Sony. "PS Now will allow users to engage in the world of PlayStation, whether they're existing fans or have never owned a PlayStation platform," said Andrew House, president and group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment, GameSpot reported.
Meanwhile, Mr House announced that more than 4.2 million units of PlayStation 4 were sold since its launch in November.
Recently, Microsoft had stated that it had sold more than 3 million units of Xbox One.
Sony also announced that it has sold over 9.7 million copies of PlayStation 4 software worldwide. "After a remarkable launch, we look forward to bringing even more exciting content and continuing to explore the power of the PS4 system by adding new features and services, including PlayStation Now, in 2014," Mr House pointed out.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Android 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 KitKat Still Delayed for Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3
- GTA V Online: Money-Glitch Ban Goes After Cheaters as a New Zombie DLC Leak is Spotted
- PS4 News: 2 Possible Sets of PS Plus Games for August 2014 Leaked and Additional Features for PS4
- Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet 17.1.2.A.0.314 Firmware Update to Improve Touch Screen and Charging Speed
- Nokia Lumia 630 vs. Sony Xperia M Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date