Sony Launches PlayStation Now; PS4 Sold Over 4.2 Million Units in 2013
By Aditya Bhat | January 9, 2014 1:27 AM EST
Sony has introduced a new cloud-steaming service - PlayStation Now - that can stream classic titles from older PlayStation platforms.
PlayStation 4 has sold over 4.2 million units since launch.
PlayStation Now will allow players to stream different titles from PlayStation, Playstation 2 and PlayStation 3 to PlayStation 4, mobile devices, PlayStation Vita and Sony Bravia TVs, via cloud.
Sony showcased the service at the ongoing CES 2014 event by streaming "The Last of Us" and "Beyond: Two Souls" to the Vita and Bravia TVs. It, however, did not announce the names of the titles that will be available in the service. Also, the company did not provide any details regarding its pricing but added that customers can avail the service by renting titles, either on individual basis or as a bigger package.
Sony did not speak on how it would tackle input lag and video quality issues that come with steaming technology.
PlayStation Now customers will be getting support for multiplayer and Trophies, added Sony. "PS Now will allow users to engage in the world of PlayStation, whether they're existing fans or have never owned a PlayStation platform," said Andrew House, president and group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment, GameSpot reported.
Meanwhile, Mr House announced that more than 4.2 million units of PlayStation 4 were sold since its launch in November.
Recently, Microsoft had stated that it had sold more than 3 million units of Xbox One.
Sony also announced that it has sold over 9.7 million copies of PlayStation 4 software worldwide. "After a remarkable launch, we look forward to bringing even more exciting content and continuing to explore the power of the PS4 system by adding new features and services, including PlayStation Now, in 2014," Mr House pointed out.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Sims 4' First Expansion Pack To Roll Out Tomorrow With Halloween Theme Via Teaser Images
- The Pirate Bay Contains Malicious Advertisements: Using TPB Can Infect Your Computer With Malware
- Get Invite Codes to Ello the Social Networking Site That Is Viral On the Internet
- Windows Insider Program: How to Get Windows 10 the Next Generation Operating System
- ‘Destiny’ New DLC For PlayStation And Xbox: Future Missions, Strikes And Raids Revealed
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build