Sony Launches PlayStation Now; PS4 Sold Over 4.2 Million Units in 2013
By Aditya Bhat | January 9, 2014 1:27 AM EST
Sony has introduced a new cloud-steaming service - PlayStation Now - that can stream classic titles from older PlayStation platforms.
PlayStation 4 has sold over 4.2 million units since launch.
PlayStation Now will allow players to stream different titles from PlayStation, Playstation 2 and PlayStation 3 to PlayStation 4, mobile devices, PlayStation Vita and Sony Bravia TVs, via cloud.
Sony showcased the service at the ongoing CES 2014 event by streaming "The Last of Us" and "Beyond: Two Souls" to the Vita and Bravia TVs. It, however, did not announce the names of the titles that will be available in the service. Also, the company did not provide any details regarding its pricing but added that customers can avail the service by renting titles, either on individual basis or as a bigger package.
Sony did not speak on how it would tackle input lag and video quality issues that come with steaming technology.
PlayStation Now customers will be getting support for multiplayer and Trophies, added Sony. "PS Now will allow users to engage in the world of PlayStation, whether they're existing fans or have never owned a PlayStation platform," said Andrew House, president and group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment, GameSpot reported.
Meanwhile, Mr House announced that more than 4.2 million units of PlayStation 4 were sold since its launch in November.
Recently, Microsoft had stated that it had sold more than 3 million units of Xbox One.
Sony also announced that it has sold over 9.7 million copies of PlayStation 4 software worldwide. "After a remarkable launch, we look forward to bringing even more exciting content and continuing to explore the power of the PS4 system by adding new features and services, including PlayStation Now, in 2014," Mr House pointed out.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Halo: Master Chief’ Collection Update Detailed As ‘Halo: Nightfall’ Continues To Roll
- ‘Destiny’ Dev Details Update; New Exotic Weapons Coming And New Speculations On Free Trial
- Official Android 5.0 Lollipop Update For HTC One Google Play Editions Delayed Due To New Software Request
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Guide: Continuous Breeding, Must See Places And TwitchPlays Pokemon Activity
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 New Update Brings Performance And Stability Improvements
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan