UK landlords expecting a buoyant 2014, survey finds
January 8, 2014 8:00 PM EST
Overall 58% of landlords predict tenant demand will grow in the next 12 months and nearly a fifth expect to expand their portfolios in 2014, the latest landlord sentiment survey from LSL Property Services found.
Also, three quarters of landlords believe now is a good time to buy or sell rental properties and prospects are bright for the rental sector in 2014 as rising prices are making property investment for buy to let an attractive investment opportunity.
In the past six months, 41% of the 2,195 landlords polled reported a rise in tenant demand, with just one in sixteen seeing a fall. Such growth in demand has been the driving force behind the series of rent rises seen during 2013. Just 10% of landlords are expecting demand to shrink.
Nearly a fifth, 18%, of landlords therefore anticipates growing their portfolio of properties over the coming 12 months, while 16% already expanded in 2013.
‘The rise in house prices is evidence of the underlying buoyancy in the property market and the stabilising of rent rises is an indication of the current healthy state of the rental sector,’ said David Newnes, director of LSL Property Services.
‘Landlords are therefore in a prime position to benefit from the strong yields on properties and aspiring buy to let investors can be encouraged by the climbing tenant demand, as not only does it signify the excellent long term investment opportunity, but also demonstrates the continued appetite for rental homes,’ he explained.
‘Demand for rented accommodation is strong, exemplified by the fact that the number of lettings, new viewings and applicants are all rising. There are strong foundations for prosperity in the rental sector, fuelled by increased economic optimism and future job creation. Against the backdrop of growing economic stability, more confidence is driving people forward in search of the attractive deals on offer across the buy to let mortgage market, which will allow them to benefit from the attractive returns,’ he added.
The survey also shows that of those who think now is a good time to buy, some 71% cited attractive property prices and half highlighted the better capital returns on offer compared to other forms of investment, while 47% pointed to strong tenant demand as a key investment driver.
However, despite the stark improvements in the mortgage market recently, just one in six landlords believe the availability of cheap finance is a key reason for why now is a good time to invest, although this is up from one landlord in 11 in December 2012. Indeed, 35% of landlords say that it is more difficult to raise mortgage finance compared to a year ago, highlighting that for some mortgage challenges remain a deeply embedded issue.
‘While the level of buy to let lending has been rejuvenated and is now climbing out of the doldrums, this...
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Austin Tops List of U.S. States with Quickest Home Sales
- Analyst: Slowdown in Home Prices is Good, the Final Stage to Economic Recovery
- Film Buff and Real Estate Developer Buys Third Movie House in Greenwich Village
- 3 Basic Requirements to Start Converting Your House into a Smart Home
- 3 Keys to Real Estate Selling Success, According to Aussie Superstar Agent
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones