CES 2014: BMW Unveils Self-Driving and Drifting Car [WATCH VIDEO]
By Janice Somosot | January 8, 2014 9:10 PM EST
BMW, the German automobile, engine and motorcycle manufacturer, has just unveiled a self-driving and drifting car at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2014 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Check out the video below to see a modified BMW M235i drift itself even if no one is controlling it.
Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (BMW AG) modified its 2-Series Coupe and 6-Series Gran Coupe for racing and showcased it at the CES 2014. Both cars are equipped with the autonomous driving technology, a LIDAR remote sensing technology system, which includes ultrasonic sensors, cameras that are able to track the environment and a 360-degree radar.
But wait, there's more. These BMW cars also have electronic braking, steering control and throttle.
The BMW prototypes were tested in Germany. The cars can automatically accelerate, decelerate, change lanes and overtake slower cars. When navigating a track, the BMW M235i prototype will even take the ideal race line! And, as seen in the video above, it can execute and sustain drifts by itself.
According to the BMW Web site, the BMW M235i has four 18" M Double-spoke style 436 M wheels and it comes in 6 metallic colors such as Black Sapphire, Glacier Silver, Estoril Blue, Mineral Grey, Mineral White and Melbourne Red. Plus, it is available in 1 non-metallic color called Alpine White.
The seats have leather upholstery which is also available in different colors including Sensatec Black, Leather "Dakota" Terra, Leather "Dakota" Black, Leather "Dakota" Oyster and "Dakota" Coral Red/Black Highlight. For those who don't like leather, there's also fabric upholstery available and it's called Cloth "Hexagon"/Alcantara.
Interior trims can be made from aluminum hexagon, brushed aluminum or fine-wood "Fineline" stream. Accent lines can either be Estoril blue matt or Black highgloss.
Auto Express reports that the BMW M235i will have a Racing model for drivers and motorsport teams and it will be available for 59,500 Euros. It will have a 3.0-litre in-line six-cylinder engine, just like the regular BMW M235i, but it will have 328 bhp, instead of 316 bhp. It also has an anti-lock braking system (ABS), Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) which ensures the stability of the vehicle when the wheels are turning, and traction control to guarantee the safety of its passengers.
BMW also tweeted about the self-driving and drifting car it unveiled at CES 2014. Check it out below.
— BMW (@bmw) January 7, 2014
- READ MORE:
PM Abbott Ditches Holden for BMW Bomb-free Cars (Click HERE)
CES 2014: Innovative Technology Trends to Watch Out For (Click HERE)
CES 2014: Corning Inc. Unveils World's First Antimicrobial Gorilla Glass in Las Vegas [WATCH VIDEO] (Click HERE)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Subaru Recalls 600k SUVs Due to Brake Line Problems; Majority in the U.S., 100k in Canada
- Australian Car Owners Face New Mandatory Emissions Standards
- Viral Video Using Go Pro Camera: 'Longest Jump Story' [Watch YouTube Clip]
- Canada Launches World's First Waste-to-Biofuels and Chemicals Facility
- Greenest Auto Manufacturer in U.S. Now Hyundai, Honda Set Off Track
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown