CES 2014: BMW Unveils Self-Driving and Drifting Car [WATCH VIDEO]
By Janice Somosot | January 8, 2014 9:10 PM EST
BMW, the German automobile, engine and motorcycle manufacturer, has just unveiled a self-driving and drifting car at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2014 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Check out the video below to see a modified BMW M235i drift itself even if no one is controlling it.
Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (BMW AG) modified its 2-Series Coupe and 6-Series Gran Coupe for racing and showcased it at the CES 2014. Both cars are equipped with the autonomous driving technology, a LIDAR remote sensing technology system, which includes ultrasonic sensors, cameras that are able to track the environment and a 360-degree radar.
But wait, there's more. These BMW cars also have electronic braking, steering control and throttle.
The BMW prototypes were tested in Germany. The cars can automatically accelerate, decelerate, change lanes and overtake slower cars. When navigating a track, the BMW M235i prototype will even take the ideal race line! And, as seen in the video above, it can execute and sustain drifts by itself.
According to the BMW Web site, the BMW M235i has four 18" M Double-spoke style 436 M wheels and it comes in 6 metallic colors such as Black Sapphire, Glacier Silver, Estoril Blue, Mineral Grey, Mineral White and Melbourne Red. Plus, it is available in 1 non-metallic color called Alpine White.
The seats have leather upholstery which is also available in different colors including Sensatec Black, Leather "Dakota" Terra, Leather "Dakota" Black, Leather "Dakota" Oyster and "Dakota" Coral Red/Black Highlight. For those who don't like leather, there's also fabric upholstery available and it's called Cloth "Hexagon"/Alcantara.
Interior trims can be made from aluminum hexagon, brushed aluminum or fine-wood "Fineline" stream. Accent lines can either be Estoril blue matt or Black highgloss.
Auto Express reports that the BMW M235i will have a Racing model for drivers and motorsport teams and it will be available for 59,500 Euros. It will have a 3.0-litre in-line six-cylinder engine, just like the regular BMW M235i, but it will have 328 bhp, instead of 316 bhp. It also has an anti-lock braking system (ABS), Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) which ensures the stability of the vehicle when the wheels are turning, and traction control to guarantee the safety of its passengers.
BMW also tweeted about the self-driving and drifting car it unveiled at CES 2014. Check it out below.
— BMW (@bmw) January 7, 2014
- READ MORE:
PM Abbott Ditches Holden for BMW Bomb-free Cars (Click HERE)
CES 2014: Innovative Technology Trends to Watch Out For (Click HERE)
CES 2014: Corning Inc. Unveils World's First Antimicrobial Gorilla Glass in Las Vegas [WATCH VIDEO] (Click HERE)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- US Alerts Car Owners To Fix Air Bags Urgently As Defective Air Bags Are Causing Fatal Deaths With Shrapnels Flying Out
- Honda Connect a System Based on Android and NVIDIA Tegra Processor To make Driving Easy
- Over 1,000 New Jobs Available at Oakville Assembly – Ford of Canada
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Upcoming Ford Falcon Can Save Life with 000 Technology During Crash
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around