Golden Globes 2014 Best Actor Winner Predictions: Will '12 Year A Slave" Actor Chiwetel Ejiofor Walk Away With the Trophy?
By Sonalee singh | January 8, 2014 8:34 PM EST
Golden Globes 2014 is all set and will be aired Jan. 12. With the nominations being announced, let's take a look at the Best Actor nominations. Who deserves to win this year?
Chiwetel Ejiofor: Garnering worldwide claim for his performance in the historical drama, "12 Year A Slave," Ejifor has already been declared a frontrunner for the Best Actor award in the Oscars. In the film, the 36-year-old actor plays a role of a Solomon Northup who has been abducted in Washington D.C and sold into slavery. Owing to his powerful portrayal Ejiofor should walk with the Golden Globes trophy this year.
Regarding Ejiofor's performance, Owen Gleiberman at Entertainment Weekly wrote: "It is Chiwetel Ejiofor's extraordinary performance that holds the movie together, and that allows us to watch it without blinking. He plays Solomon with a powerful inner strength, yet he never soft-pedals the silent nightmare that is Solomon's daily existence."
Idris Elba: Elba has been nominated for his portrayal of former South African president Nelson Mandela. According to Geoffrey Macnab of Independent.co.uk, Idris's performance in "Long Walk to Freedom" is stirring.
Tom Hanks: Hanks is another strong contender for the Golden Globes award in the Best Actor category. He is phenomenal in "Captain Phillips" and as Brian Viner of Dailymail.co.uk noted, "Were an Academy Award for best actor to be dished out on the strength of five intense minutes, then bookmakers would probably stop taking bets on the likelihood of Tom Hanks winning his third Oscar in March next year," adding, "At 134 minutes, Captain Phillips is a long film, and in the title role, Hanks is splendid throughout. But it is at the end that he really pulls out all the stops, and when you see it - as you should - you will understand how and why.
Matthew McConaughey and Robert Redford are two other actors who have been nominated for their roles in "Dallas Buyers Club" and "All Is Lost," respectively.
Let us know which actor deserves to take Golden Globes home this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report