Golden Globes 2014 Best Actor Winner Predictions: Will '12 Year A Slave" Actor Chiwetel Ejiofor Walk Away With the Trophy?
By Sonalee singh | January 8, 2014 8:34 PM EST
Golden Globes 2014 is all set and will be aired Jan. 12. With the nominations being announced, let's take a look at the Best Actor nominations. Who deserves to win this year?
Chiwetel Ejiofor: Garnering worldwide claim for his performance in the historical drama, "12 Year A Slave," Ejifor has already been declared a frontrunner for the Best Actor award in the Oscars. In the film, the 36-year-old actor plays a role of a Solomon Northup who has been abducted in Washington D.C and sold into slavery. Owing to his powerful portrayal Ejiofor should walk with the Golden Globes trophy this year.
Regarding Ejiofor's performance, Owen Gleiberman at Entertainment Weekly wrote: "It is Chiwetel Ejiofor's extraordinary performance that holds the movie together, and that allows us to watch it without blinking. He plays Solomon with a powerful inner strength, yet he never soft-pedals the silent nightmare that is Solomon's daily existence."
Idris Elba: Elba has been nominated for his portrayal of former South African president Nelson Mandela. According to Geoffrey Macnab of Independent.co.uk, Idris's performance in "Long Walk to Freedom" is stirring.
Tom Hanks: Hanks is another strong contender for the Golden Globes award in the Best Actor category. He is phenomenal in "Captain Phillips" and as Brian Viner of Dailymail.co.uk noted, "Were an Academy Award for best actor to be dished out on the strength of five intense minutes, then bookmakers would probably stop taking bets on the likelihood of Tom Hanks winning his third Oscar in March next year," adding, "At 134 minutes, Captain Phillips is a long film, and in the title role, Hanks is splendid throughout. But it is at the end that he really pulls out all the stops, and when you see it - as you should - you will understand how and why.
Matthew McConaughey and Robert Redford are two other actors who have been nominated for their roles in "Dallas Buyers Club" and "All Is Lost," respectively.
Let us know which actor deserves to take Golden Globes home this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Finale Spoiler: Blake Proposes To Top Favourite Of Season 2
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5: Human Flesh Burgers Unveiled To Celebrate TWD’s New Season
- George Clooney Divorced Talia Balsam Years Before Getting Married to Amal Alamuddin: Know About Clooney's Ex Wife
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money