Golden Globes 2014 Best Actor Winner Predictions: Will '12 Year A Slave" Actor Chiwetel Ejiofor Walk Away With the Trophy?
By Sonalee singh | January 8, 2014 8:34 PM EST
Golden Globes 2014 is all set and will be aired Jan. 12. With the nominations being announced, let's take a look at the Best Actor nominations. Who deserves to win this year?
Chiwetel Ejiofor: Garnering worldwide claim for his performance in the historical drama, "12 Year A Slave," Ejifor has already been declared a frontrunner for the Best Actor award in the Oscars. In the film, the 36-year-old actor plays a role of a Solomon Northup who has been abducted in Washington D.C and sold into slavery. Owing to his powerful portrayal Ejiofor should walk with the Golden Globes trophy this year.
Regarding Ejiofor's performance, Owen Gleiberman at Entertainment Weekly wrote: "It is Chiwetel Ejiofor's extraordinary performance that holds the movie together, and that allows us to watch it without blinking. He plays Solomon with a powerful inner strength, yet he never soft-pedals the silent nightmare that is Solomon's daily existence."
Idris Elba: Elba has been nominated for his portrayal of former South African president Nelson Mandela. According to Geoffrey Macnab of Independent.co.uk, Idris's performance in "Long Walk to Freedom" is stirring.
Tom Hanks: Hanks is another strong contender for the Golden Globes award in the Best Actor category. He is phenomenal in "Captain Phillips" and as Brian Viner of Dailymail.co.uk noted, "Were an Academy Award for best actor to be dished out on the strength of five intense minutes, then bookmakers would probably stop taking bets on the likelihood of Tom Hanks winning his third Oscar in March next year," adding, "At 134 minutes, Captain Phillips is a long film, and in the title role, Hanks is splendid throughout. But it is at the end that he really pulls out all the stops, and when you see it - as you should - you will understand how and why.
Matthew McConaughey and Robert Redford are two other actors who have been nominated for their roles in "Dallas Buyers Club" and "All Is Lost," respectively.
Let us know which actor deserves to take Golden Globes home this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date