Apple Inc Continues US Smartphone Market Share Dominance as App Store Generates Over $10 Billion in Sales
By Reissa Su | January 8, 2014 7:39 PM EST
Apple Inc continues to enjoy an increasing market share in the United States based on comScore's latest survey. The analytics firm reported that Apple has a 41.2 per cent market share as the leading Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) in the U.S. from Sept. to Nov. 2013. The figure is a 0.5 per cent increase from its previous market share in the August quarter of 2013.
The gold colored version of the new iPhone 5S is seen after Apple Inc's media event in Cupertino, California September 10, 2013.
Rival Samsung Electronics came in second place with a 26 per cent market share. However, Samsung had the fastest growth in the same period at 1.7 per cent compared to Apple's 0.5 per cent for the August quarter.
Google's Android remained the leading OS with a market share of 51.9 per cent compared to Apple Inc's 40.7 per cent. comScore's data is based on installed user base which means it reflects real-world usage compared to data from new handset sales.
App Store generates total sales of over $10 billion
Aside from selling more iPhones and iPads during the holiday season, the company is also selling more apps in the App Store. In 2013, the App Store sold apps worth over $10 billion. Apple takes 30 per cent of all app sales and has acquired more than $3 billion in revenue.
The latest milestone is reflective of the iPhone and iPad cycle. When an Apple device owner begins to buy apps or make in-app purchases, he or she is more inclined to buy a new Apple device in the future. Spending money in the App Store can help strengthen a user's ties to Apple's iOS.
The $10 billion from app sales is only a small fraction of the $91 billion iPhone sales generated in the fiscal year ended in September 2013. Apple Inc has previously said December was going to be the strongest month for the App Store.
Since 2008, iOS developers have earned $15 billion from the App Store which suggests total sales of more than $21 billion. The first few years of the App Store and Apple's lead in the smart phone market have prompted developers to launch their apps in the iOS platform first. Some apps were available exclusively on the App Store. This gave Apple an edge over Google's Android OS.
However, this app dynamic has since shifted since the market share of Android-powered devices continues to grow. According to Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster, app usability and quality are no longer critical factors when differentiating Apple iOS and Android. Mr Munster reported user experience and app quality between the iOS and Android was a "virtual tie."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date