Dennis Rodman Freaks Out in Heated Interview: Angry NBA Player Abuses Anchor, Defends North Korea Basketball Game
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | January 8, 2014 7:21 PM EST
A television interview with NBA Player Dennis Rodman turned ugly and embarrassing, when the sportsman lost his cool while defending his visit to North Korea and started ranting and abusing the anchor.
Former NBA basketball player Dennis Rodman (C) is protected by staff members as he arrives at the Beijing Capital International Airport to leave for Pyongyang, in Beijing, January 6, 2014.
During the interview with CNN's Chris Cuomo of the "New Day" program, Rodman reacted angrily when asked if he was planning to ask North Korean leaders about Kenneth Bae, a US citizen who was sentenced to 15 years in prison last year by North Korea, on charges that he intended to overthrow the government.
The live interview became heated when the NBA star condemned the media's largely negative coverage on his North Korea visit. The interview took a turn for the worse when Rodman started abusing Cuomo.
"I don't give a rat's ass what you think," he said in an angry outburst.
When asked about the detention of the American missionary Kenneth Bae, he instead began asking Cuomo what the man had done. He seemed to imply that Kenneth Bae had done something wrong without specifying what he had done.
"Kenneth Bae did one thing. If you understand what Kenneth Bae did...do you understand what he did in his country?" he asked.
When the anchor asked him to specify exactly what Bae had done, he continued with his rant. "No, no, no, you tell me, you tell me. Why is he held captive here in this country, why?"
"I would love to speak on this," Rodman said before abruptly changing the topic to talk about why his fellow NBA players had left their families behind to play the game in North Korea.
Rodman conceded to the fact that he and his team were going to be criticized for the game after they returned and said that he was ready to take abuse from Americans.
"You're the guy behind the mic right now," he told the anchor, "We're the guys here doing one thing. We have to go back to America and take the abuse. Do you have to take the abuse what we're going to take? Do you, sir? Are you going to take the abuse? We're going to get it."
When Cuomo told Rodman that he understood about his intentions and thanked the group for the cultural exchange, Rodman suddenly cut him off and shouted: "I don't give a rat's ass what the hell you think. I'm saying to you, look at these guys here, look at them...They dared to do one thing, they came here."
Meanwhile, the incident has captured the attention of many people on the internet and Rodman's heated interview with CNN has gone viral on social networks. The fact that Rodman is playing a game to entertain the leader, Kim Jong-un for his birthday did not seem to go too well with many individuals. Some reacted angrily to Rodman while many others found the incident to be funny.
"On silly Rodman...Kim Jong Un (North Korean Presi) is not your "beloved friend" he just recently executed his uncle," said a person with a tweeter handle "madi hong".
"Kim Jong Un and Dennis Rodman should make a sitcom together," tweeted joseberry.
"Some of my favourite people were born on Jan 8; Elvis, Bowie...Kim Jong-Un," said Nick Oliver.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- US And Australia Share Visa And Immigration Information
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October