Dennis Rodman Freaks Out in Heated Interview: Angry NBA Player Abuses Anchor, Defends North Korea Basketball Game
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | January 8, 2014 7:21 PM EST
A television interview with NBA Player Dennis Rodman turned ugly and embarrassing, when the sportsman lost his cool while defending his visit to North Korea and started ranting and abusing the anchor.
Former NBA basketball player Dennis Rodman (C) is protected by staff members as he arrives at the Beijing Capital International Airport to leave for Pyongyang, in Beijing, January 6, 2014.
During the interview with CNN's Chris Cuomo of the "New Day" program, Rodman reacted angrily when asked if he was planning to ask North Korean leaders about Kenneth Bae, a US citizen who was sentenced to 15 years in prison last year by North Korea, on charges that he intended to overthrow the government.
The live interview became heated when the NBA star condemned the media's largely negative coverage on his North Korea visit. The interview took a turn for the worse when Rodman started abusing Cuomo.
"I don't give a rat's ass what you think," he said in an angry outburst.
When asked about the detention of the American missionary Kenneth Bae, he instead began asking Cuomo what the man had done. He seemed to imply that Kenneth Bae had done something wrong without specifying what he had done.
"Kenneth Bae did one thing. If you understand what Kenneth Bae did...do you understand what he did in his country?" he asked.
When the anchor asked him to specify exactly what Bae had done, he continued with his rant. "No, no, no, you tell me, you tell me. Why is he held captive here in this country, why?"
"I would love to speak on this," Rodman said before abruptly changing the topic to talk about why his fellow NBA players had left their families behind to play the game in North Korea.
Rodman conceded to the fact that he and his team were going to be criticized for the game after they returned and said that he was ready to take abuse from Americans.
"You're the guy behind the mic right now," he told the anchor, "We're the guys here doing one thing. We have to go back to America and take the abuse. Do you have to take the abuse what we're going to take? Do you, sir? Are you going to take the abuse? We're going to get it."
When Cuomo told Rodman that he understood about his intentions and thanked the group for the cultural exchange, Rodman suddenly cut him off and shouted: "I don't give a rat's ass what the hell you think. I'm saying to you, look at these guys here, look at them...They dared to do one thing, they came here."
Meanwhile, the incident has captured the attention of many people on the internet and Rodman's heated interview with CNN has gone viral on social networks. The fact that Rodman is playing a game to entertain the leader, Kim Jong-un for his birthday did not seem to go too well with many individuals. Some reacted angrily to Rodman while many others found the incident to be funny.
"On silly Rodman...Kim Jong Un (North Korean Presi) is not your "beloved friend" he just recently executed his uncle," said a person with a tweeter handle "madi hong".
"Kim Jong Un and Dennis Rodman should make a sitcom together," tweeted joseberry.
"Some of my favourite people were born on Jan 8; Elvis, Bowie...Kim Jong-Un," said Nick Oliver.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Canada Claims Good Progress in EU Trade Pact Despite Germany’s Defiant Postures
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report