Liam Hemsworth as Thor? Chris Hemsworth Explains How He Almost Lost the Coveted Role
By Riza Ornos | January 8, 2014 7:02 PM EST
Can you imagine anyone as Thor other than Chris Hemsworth? Or Liam Hemsworth as Thor? "Thor: The Dark World" star Chris Hemsworth explain how he almost lost the role to his brother Liam Hemsworth when they auditioned for the part.
"I auditioned for 'Thor,' and I didn't get called back," Chris Hemsworth admits to an interview with W magazine. "I was intimidated by the director, Kenneth Branagh. To me, he is Shakespeare. My brother, Liam, was luckier. He was one of the final five guys up for the part."
Luckily none of the top final 5 guys was right for the role and that's the time that Chris' manager suggested Chris for the role. "My manager said, 'If you liked Liam, maybe you'll also like his older brother.' This time, I was pissed off. I didn't care about Shakespeare anymore; swagger got me the part," he added.
The 30-year-old Australian actor gained his mainstream popularity when he was casted for the coveted role and after the successful stint for "Thor" the actor was casted in a big budget hero film "The Avengers" where he reprises his role as Thor.
The Hollywood hunk is now a household name and "Thor's" second installment "Thor: The Dark World" has earned a total of $630,449,204 and surpassed its predecessor within 19 days of release. The movie is the third highest-grossing film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
While promoting "Thor: The Dark World," Chris was contracted for another "Thor" film and two more "Avengers" film. There are rumors that he will reprise his role as the huntsman in the second installment of "Snow White and the Huntsman" opposite "Twilight" star Kristin Stewart.
Last year the actor released another high-action film where he played as a race car driver in a Formula 1 movie "Rush." The actor is scheduled to star in the 2014 thriller "Shadow Runner." The star is currently working on "In the Heart of the Sea" with "Rush" directed Ron Howard, and he is expecting his second child with wife Elsa Pataky.
For now there is no slowing down for Chris when big offers and coveted roles are kept landing in his lap.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet