Liam Hemsworth as Thor? Chris Hemsworth Explains How He Almost Lost the Coveted Role
By Riza Ornos | January 8, 2014 7:02 PM EST
Can you imagine anyone as Thor other than Chris Hemsworth? Or Liam Hemsworth as Thor? "Thor: The Dark World" star Chris Hemsworth explain how he almost lost the role to his brother Liam Hemsworth when they auditioned for the part.
"I auditioned for 'Thor,' and I didn't get called back," Chris Hemsworth admits to an interview with W magazine. "I was intimidated by the director, Kenneth Branagh. To me, he is Shakespeare. My brother, Liam, was luckier. He was one of the final five guys up for the part."
Luckily none of the top final 5 guys was right for the role and that's the time that Chris' manager suggested Chris for the role. "My manager said, 'If you liked Liam, maybe you'll also like his older brother.' This time, I was pissed off. I didn't care about Shakespeare anymore; swagger got me the part," he added.
The 30-year-old Australian actor gained his mainstream popularity when he was casted for the coveted role and after the successful stint for "Thor" the actor was casted in a big budget hero film "The Avengers" where he reprises his role as Thor.
The Hollywood hunk is now a household name and "Thor's" second installment "Thor: The Dark World" has earned a total of $630,449,204 and surpassed its predecessor within 19 days of release. The movie is the third highest-grossing film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
While promoting "Thor: The Dark World," Chris was contracted for another "Thor" film and two more "Avengers" film. There are rumors that he will reprise his role as the huntsman in the second installment of "Snow White and the Huntsman" opposite "Twilight" star Kristin Stewart.
Last year the actor released another high-action film where he played as a race car driver in a Formula 1 movie "Rush." The actor is scheduled to star in the 2014 thriller "Shadow Runner." The star is currently working on "In the Heart of the Sea" with "Rush" directed Ron Howard, and he is expecting his second child with wife Elsa Pataky.
For now there is no slowing down for Chris when big offers and coveted roles are kept landing in his lap.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Episode 11 On Hold, Return Date, Title And Synopsis Of New Episode
- ‘The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies’ New Images Of Bard And Smaug In Battle
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers – ‘Coda’: Midseason Finale Is ‘Heartbreaking’ And ‘Gut-Wrenching’
- 'Arrow' Season 3 Updates: Oliver Queen And Team Go To Barry Allen's Central City (Spoilers)
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Spoilers: Ramsay Bolton
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Best Buy,Target And Amazon Offer Huge Discounts On Tablets Like iPad Air 2, Shield Tablet, Surface Pro 3 And More