Arsenal News: Mesut Ozil Loving Life in the English Premier League, Wants to Win Trophies for the Gooners
By Deepak Vikraman | January 8, 2014 5:07 PM EST
Arsenal record signing Mesut Ozil said he is enjoying life in England, despite the lack of a winter break to recover from those aching and weary limbs.
Ozil has enjoyed a break for Christmas and New Year in all of his clubs prior to Arsenal, with both the Bundesliga and La Liga taking a hiatus during the festive period.
However, it is the exact opposite in England with games flying at you thick and fast, and the festive season is something that Ozil has relished.
"Of course it's out of the ordinary because I've always had a winter break in previous years," he told Arsenal Player. "In the Premier League, you play every few days -- you don't get a week to relax.
"I'm very pleased that I'm in this league because you go from game to game very quickly. You play every two or three days and for me it's better to play more games than train because I love a challenge and here that is perfect."
Ozil has added another dimension to the club since signing for the club on transfer deadline day in September, and the 25-year-old revealed his fellow German Gunners had helped a lot in him settling into life in London.
"I feel comfortable here. You can see on the pitch when we play together that we have a very good understanding," he added.
"The team is great and for me it's been very easy to settle -- the German players here have helped me to establish myself quicker than I perhaps would have done were they not here.
"But ultimately I feel pleased. The people are very friendly and welcoming."
Of course, Arsenal have been playing great football for a while now but without trophies to back it up and Ozil knows the importance of breaking that nine-year drought at the club.
"I know what I can do and a footballer always strives for more success," he said. "My aim is to develop and improve my game here -- but the most important thing is that we play successful football as a team and that, at the end of the season, we win trophies.
"You have personal goals -- you want to remain healthy and want to play successful football. But like I said, the most important thing is to be successful with this team."
Ozil also paid tribute to the fans, who have welcomed the German with open arms making him feel like one of their own right from the off. "It's [support of the fans] hugely important," Ozil said. "Not just for me but for the whole team.
"You can see in the games, be that home or away, they are always there for us and get behind and support the team fervently for 90 minutes.
"We can show our thanks to them through playing successful and attractive football and by getting good results. The team deserve to win a trophy and we will do all we can to celebrate with the fans if that happens."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display